Whiteface (NY) Slide Photos

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rico said:
I recently climbed two slides on Whiteface (NY). You can check out some photos here:

Cool! Those slides look steep, but firm and smooth. How was it ?

Neil is going to be salivating now! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Cool! Those slides look steep, but firm and smooth. How was it ?

Neil is going to be salivating now! :D
Awesome!
Excellent photos!
There going straight into my you-know-what folder.
Thank you very much.

Wow looks like fun. Quite steep in spots. How would you compare this to some of the more popular slides in the dacks, like colden via trap dyke or Eagle on Giant?

Thanks for posting this. I have been hiking in the northeast for about 16 years now, but stick predominantly to trails (46er herd paths = trails to me). I had done 1 of the slides on Macomb (the normal route required for 46er passage), and the Colden slide on the east side of the Mountain. I have failed on 3 attempts at the slides on the dike side, all three times just wound up being an arduous bushwack through cripple brush to the summit ridge, which is just as well because it started raining half way up all three times. Last month when we had the brilliant stretch of dry weather I tried eagle slide and Nippletop slide, and both went very well, although Nippletop slide was pretty wet, despite the dry weather the 3-4 days preceding my hike. Whiteface slides, west facing Dix slides and Colden dike (done correctly) are high on my priority list for the future, although the wet weather the last 2 weeks and with 5 day forecast reading rain until further notice I will put this off for next year. I hiked Whiteface via the Wilmington trail from the reservoire yesterday, and it was very icy up high, but the slide looked dry from afar. Nice job on these climbs.

You said you climbed these recently? It has rained here in central ny for 3 weeks straight, going on 4. I am glad you got a good day to climb.

Dom - Slide #1 was similar to Nippletop or the Trap Dike slide, but not the dike itself. Haven't done Eagle yet, so obviously can't compare. The "still" photo of me on Slide #1 was taken at the headwall near the summit. I could have ascended the headwall with rock shoes, but couldn't get enough traction with my boots, so we angled to the left (towards photographer). Slide #3 got hairy... steepest stuff I've been on in the Adks, and rock shoes definitely required.

Adk_dib - I did these slides on Oct 1, the weekend before it started raining... now my lawn "squishes" when I walk on it :D

Thanks for the info Rico. those slides are definately on my list for next year.

jrbren said:
Thanks for posting this.... I have failed on 3 attempts at the slides on the dike side, all three times just wound up being an arduous bushwack through cripple brush to the summit ridge, which is just as well because it started raining half way up all three times....

Bummer! :( There is a herd path all the way to the real trail. I lost it for a while, but 5 minutes of bushwhacking to the 'left' (going up), brought us back to a nice path that took us to the summit ridge trail. I think the gully sort of splits in 2 near the top. If you go right, exit onto the slide or face the wrath of the bushes! :D If you go left, you will not get to the slide, but you will find a trail.