Whiteface/Passaconaway loop via BlueberryLedge, Rollins and Dicey's Mill Trails 07/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
The fine weather we had on Sunday (07/30) provided an opportune time to tag Mt. Whiteface via the Blueberry Ledge Trail. For me this mountain would be #35 in my quest for the NH48K's. I usually camel up with a 32 fl. oz. bottle of Gatorade which seems to hold me for a good two to three hours into a hike. Over the past few years I've been gauging my water needs and, wanting to hike lightly, simply packed up one full 32 oz. nalgene and one .5L bottle of Poland Spring plus my Aquamira water treatment if the need should arise. This supply worked well even on this fairly lengthy and at times challenging hike. I had packed the usual basics into a remarkably light, comfortable and inexpensive Kelty Bryce pack with an amazing capacity (1850) for it's small size. Poles in hand I hit the trail.

I had been well advised to do this trail in good weather. There are some difficult steep sided slabs of rock to negotiate as you approach the summit area with its impressive cliffs and ledges. I stopped to enjoy some excellent viewpoints before arriving at the scenic ledges of the lower south summit. The views were breathtaking and the temps were cool, breezy and pleasant. I even met one of the McCrillis grandsons up there.

I continued on the Rollins Trail passing the true Whiteface summit just beyond the juncture of the Rollins and Kate Sleeper Trails. The descent into the col between Whiteface and Passaconaway brings you into a world of darker hues, of cool dampness and deep rich musky forest, all of which stands in contrast with the sunny openness of the Blueberry Ledge Trail. There are times when the trail skirts the really sharp dropoff into the Bowl Natural Area. Thank God for the protective spruces which skirt the edges of that drop. There's a remoteness to this trail, intriguing in it's own way. You welcome a meeting with a fellow hiker. I met just one.

I finally arrived at the juncture of the Rollins and Dicey's Mill Trails. I was somewhat surprised at the relative ease of the hike up Passaconaway's side to this point. The trek to the summit is quite another story however. This had been a pretty long hike so far and making my way up the steep wet boulders to the summit was not entirely welcome, especially since I had climbed this mountain last December and began to weigh the prospect of skipping it altogether. However I was determined to complete the loop that I had started and soon reached the secluded sanctuary of spruces which is Passaconaway's summit, also experiencing the pleasant memories of the winter wonderland which this place had been in December. The return trip down the Dicey's Mill Trail was an easy and uneventful walk and the stream crossing which had given me a difficult time last December was no problem. A final nod to the imposing presence of Mt. Wonalancet which dominates the view from the trailhead and I was back in the truck and heading for home. Farewell great Chiefs.

Another fine day in the Whites!

Ray

Nice trip report Ray! Your description of the Blueberry Ledge and Rollins Trails make me regret that I missed them. I was on Passaconaway on Sunday 7/30 also, but I came up from the Kanc side. You're right - the weather and views were gorgeous! I'm so glad you got to enjoy that perfect day for hiking. :)

Thanks, Roxi. Sorry I missed you up there. I hope that you will also have the opportunity to do the Whiteface hike from the Blueberry Ledge Trail. I don't know if you have ever hiked from the trailheads at Wonalancet. It's just a beautiful mellow area for a departure.

Ray