Whiteface: Reservior or Research Ctr

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
Heading up to do Whiteface and Esther on Saturday. Is there any advantage to starting at one place or the other? Anyone been up there lately and how is the ice.

Chuck Krueger

It depends on what you're looking for out of the trip.

The resevoir trailhead is less used and the trail in its lower part is much prettier. Its great in the Autumn or Spring. It is also at a much lower elevation than the ASRC lot.

The ASRC is a large parking lot, much more hiking traffic, higher, but the first portion of trail is kind of non-descript and ugly. After dropping down behind the parking lot to pick up the trail, you're basically following an overgrown rope tow.

This time of year you're likely to find the ASRC route broken out, but would get a much better workout from the resevoir.

Peakbagr

Is there much time difference between the two? I figure we will be close on time and may be coming out on headlamps.

chuck

Esther

To add to this post another related question, i have been on the summit of Whiteface several times and in many ways - i hiked from the weather center a few years ago, and my wimpy fellow hikers didn't want to go over and hike Esther. Anyway, what is the easiest trail to take to Esther? If i remember correctly, you go up to about the toboggan shelter or so, and take a right.

Is there a dedicated trail or herdpath to its summit? If so, what is the best trailhead?

Is there a herd path from the road if i decide to ski up? Maybe do a snowshoe run up the toll road and hit Esther on the way down...

what would you do?

Thanks all!

Rob

RTIMarc -
There is a "dedicated" herd path the summit of Esther. It is at the Old tobogan shelter - Yes, Turn Left, it should be easy to see. I would suggest skiing up the road (it counts) and doing Esther first (turn left when you get to the old tobogan shelter). That way if it gets dark, you can easily follow the road to the turnaround tower and follow the steps up Whiteface.

If taking the road, then at the final hairpin turn for whiteface, look to your left and you will see the stone auto guard wall. Turn left here and face the wall for a moment. The trail to Esther intersects the road here and as you stand at the wall and look over towards Esther, the trail leads down along the other side of the wall and to your left a bit before heading out to Esther. you should see it fairly easily, unless it is blown in.

for Chuck's question, I prefer to leave from the ASRC in the winter. In fact, I would rather just park near the gate and take the road up in the winter and enjoy the views. The nice thing about parking there is that if you do come out in the dark or conditions deteriorate while on Whiteface, you can easily follow the auto road back down.

One more thing, the wind comes about very hard after that last hairpin turn on the final approach to Whiteface. I find a good scarf or mask and goggle are a definite must.
Cheers

Last edited:
rtrimarc, one additional comment. Hiking the maintained trail from Memorial Highway toward Esther, there is/was a broken trail that followed the usual summer herd path. That trail is about 0.1 miles before the toboggan shed (0.1 mile past the shed if hiking from ASRC or the reservoir). The trail starts at a relatively low point on the trail (look at your map). From the start, the herd path proceeds on an azimuth of approximately due north. If you proceed to the trail that starts at the toboggan shed, it parallels the red trail back toward the start of the summer herd path so you will lose time.

ckrueger, starting at ASRC will save you about 1 - 2 hours depending upon conditions and your hiking speed.

Thank you for this thread. I took advantage of it and hiked Whiteface from the ASRC Sunday. A great summit day, there was a low cloud layer at ~4K feet where above was all clear. You could see the distant ADKs sticking above the layer to the south (Algonquin massif, Marcy massif, giant, dix, etc...). Conditions were treacherous at the top, very icy with patches of deep drifting snow. I even used my ice ax this trip (usually a pack ornament if I even bring it) to get up that 10-15ft ledge right at the trail auto road intersection. I recommend 10-12 point crampons for any above treeline travel this year due to the ice. I had my 6 points only with me but managed to get by with my ice ax. Would not have needed the ax if I had spikes on my toes (I don't think). I returned the auto road for a change of pace. Made a nice loop. The last mile was on the paved road but there was no traffic. Saw 2 deer on the drive out. This was my 3rd trip up Whiteface, first in Winter. I had never thought of starting from the ASRC until I read this thread.

Cheers-
John

Whiteface Road

Has anyone skied the road this year? Is it too icy and windblown currently? Hope to do it sometime this winter if possible.

Up high there was very hard and slick ice covered by 4-5" of snow (I was descending on snow shoes). Under 4000 feet or so(the second hairpin turn from the top) the ice was not noticeable anymore for the most part. A little below here I met the first skiers ascending. I met several more on the descent. Snow seemed very good for skiing and tracks were worn in. Who knows what the next 2 days will do to the snow though, freezing rain tomorrow followed by 50's on Thursday, then getting cold again. Sounds like a recipe for alot of ice everywhere next weekend. But as of last Sunday it was good for skiing.

The start at the Reservoir is about 1300 feet above sea level. The start at ASRC is 820 feet higher at 2134 feet and about one and one-quarter mile shorter. The Reservoir start takes one through nice woods and a steeper ascent. The ASRC ascent was described at the old tow line.

The choice is personal. Often, when I lead this hike, I do it from the ASRC; alone, I like the solitude of the woods from the Reservoir start.

Moose

moose_mckenzie said:
The start at the Reservoir is about 1300 feet above sea level. The start at ASRC is 820 feet higher at 2134 feet and about one and one-quarter mile shorter. The Reservoir start takes one through nice woods and a steeper ascent. The ASRC ascent was described at the old tow line.

The choice is personal. Often, when I lead this hike, I do it from the ASRC; alone, I like the solitude of the woods from the Reservoir start.

Moose

Agreed. Both have their advantages. The Reservoir start is longer (I would have thought longer than a quarter mile) and steeper, but the woods are lovely. You've got those huge cement blocks (ski tow foundations) every so often which seem out of place, but also serve as convenient rest stops. Both trails meet about a quarter to a third of the way up. I recall that, at least in summer, care is needed at this intersection to note the turn-off, if you're going back to the ASRC.

We completed the hike up Whiteface and Esther on Saturday. It was a GREAT day in the woods. Temps in the 20's and a light to moderate snow all day. We also found the area above where the trail meets the road to be very icy and the wind picked up a little. We had our 12 pt crampons for the section near the retaining wall and final ascent, so it wasn't to bad. We missed the trail for Esther on the way up. The cairn was covered with snow, but we found it on the way down Total time for the two was 7hr10m. Thanks for all the input 18 down 28 to go. :D