Whiteface toll road bike trip 11/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Reaction score
A bunch of us from our local bike club are meeting in Wilmington about 12:30 to ride up Whiteface. We will bring whatever gear on our packs (snowshoes, crampons, warm clothes) that we will need to summit and return safely to the bottom. I personally am using my mt. bike so I have a granny gear :D We are mostly fit recreational cyclists so it won't be a race unless you want it to be. PM me if you would like to meet us or need more info.

"Fit recreational cyclist"---I think you're more of a lung with two legs...Have fun, it should be a heck of a ride down. I still want to try the seated skateboard descent next season before the road opens. A man has to have a dream!

Hey Jim, I think you should do it the other way around.. Snowshoe up Whiteface with your mtb bike and then bike down...

Sounds like a trip, you carrying your gear in a backpack or do you have panniers/trailer?

jay

Are you sure....

that biking up the access road is permitted? Or are you planning a moonlight ride? :p

My understanding was that folks are not allowed to ride up the toll road.
I have always thought that moonlight rides were the only way to ensure that you got to the top, since the "guards" would turn you around during the daytime. :confused:

Either way, it sounds waaaay better than paying big $$$ to participate in the annual HillClimb......

Let me know how it goes.

Jay, I've got some Northern Lites (32 oz/pair) and a pretty good shell that should keep the weight down. And I'm a glutton for punishment :) . Inge, I think the road must be closed at this time of the year because the guy that posted the flier said he has done it at this time of the year for awhile. I'll post a TR and let everyone know the scoop.

WFCam.jpg
jumpcam.jpg

totem.jpg

prino said:
Make sure you have your winter tires on! The snow could get thick towards the top :eek: :D :cool:
yeah no doubt about that, it's going to be a good weekend in the mtns.... :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got the full knobbies on the Haro and Northern Lites strapped to the backpack. I think the most difficult part will be staying warm on the descent :) I can't wait :D :D