"Whoo - Whoo", yep we heard them

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
http://picasaweb.google.com/DShwide/EarlyOwlWinterHike#

IndianChris and I went out early 4am this past Sat in the cold weather to a nearby large state park Caumsett (sp?) on Long Island. Located in Suffolk county on the west overlooking the Long Island Sound. We hauled some heavy day packs that included clothes, food, stoves, wood, camp chairs and a celebratory drink.

Fingers were cold and the MSR straps for my snowshoes weren't really stretching around the heel because of the cold temps but iron man Chris got the job done. After app 20-30 min we got into the meadow and stopped, I was tired, zero stamina I have :( I looked at Chris and realized he was listening to something. I moved my beenie cap above my ears and listened very carefully, there in the distance we heard, "whoooo - whoooo"...cool :D We were lucky to hear the owl or owls that we came for. We waited another minute and there it goes again "whoo - whoo". Now some of you probably hear that sound everyday but down here near the big city that doesn't happen to often. You have to go where they are and early. Well it got cold standing around, probably 8-15F and we crunched our way another mile to the beach where we hiked up to a lookout on the bluffs and set up our spot. We started the "cookie can" portable self contained fire "stove" and started cooking our breakfast using our other stoves. We do eat well on our trips :rolleyes: We watched the sun rise behind us through the trees and took some pics. Chris brought 2 sets of binoculars and we did some bird watching.

After getting questioned by a cross country skier if we camped out we packed up our gear, cleaned up and hiked down to the beach where we spooked out some deer. Got a pic of them and some video. It was low tide in the marsh area so we hiked on the ice that formed. On the way back the tide was coming in and much of the ice was now getting covered with water. Chris spotted a hawk flying around, guess it was looking for the rabbits that we also spooked. We got a few stares from other cross country skiers because our day packs were really loaded up, it did look like we camped over, but we didn't, really, I promise.

We got back to the car around 12:30, and I felt exhausted. Both of my knees were killing me, I'm getting a knee replacement this Thursday and I wanted to just go out one more time before the operation. I was really hurting that night, but it was worth it. Now I could have stayed home and done nothing or go out, listen to the owls, check out the sunrise, watch the deer run and crunch through the snow for app 5.5 miles. Easy decision.

Want to thank Chip for the AT trip a few weeks ago and Chris for the last 2 weekend trips, one crazy kayak camping trip and this early bird hike..big thx..I'm going to go crazy being home and going through physical therapy. Have to do it correctly so that I have plenty more years to enjoy the great outdoors and companionship with all the people I have met and the new friends to come.

I'm already planning more kayak trips in the ADK's hopefully late April and more NFCT trips in late August. Throw in another vftt paddle gathering in July and smaller paddle trips. I hope to also try more canoeing during this time. Of course I'll be back on the viewsandbrews list ;) looks like Mass and RI are waiting for me! See you hopefully in the Fall! CF

I've enjoyed reading about your last two trips. It's almost more of an adventure to find those wild places in a place that isn't a wilderness.

I'm a surgical nurse on a surgical/orthopedic floor and I understand the extreme effort you must have made just to do what you just did. A person doesn't have a knee replacement unless they're having a lot of pain.

Good luck with your surgery. Now you have some nice pictures to keep in your mind while you're stuck in the hospital. It's a long process with the PT and healing, but it's going to be worth it in the end. Be patient with yourself.

Hey Chip/Coldfeet, there is a brewpub in Great Barrington that I think is on VnBs...

Hope to see you on the water and the trails later this year...

Jay

Good luck! Being strong and fit going in is one of the best things you can do!