Wide feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
I am guessing that I am not the only hiker in VFTT land that has wide feet. Therefore, if you are reading this and you also have wide feet, you will understand my dilemma and also know that it's pretty difficult to find a lightweight shoe / boot that fits "off the rack". Have any of you had success with a particular brand, or do you get one that fits marginally and hope that it stretches our quickly? Any expertise on this?

I don't have wide feet, but I do have Dunham hiking boots, and I know that they are known for their boots coming in many different widths. Men's boots come in 5 different widths (narrow, medium, wide, x wide, and xx wide). Here is their website: http://www.dunhamfits.com/ The boots I have are called "Insulated Terrastryder Extra" in the Waffle Stomper collection, and they are great, lightweight boots. Good Luck!
-katie

I'm right there with you, I'm either EEE or EEEE and I have full length prescription orthotics in there also. My current and last boots are/were Montrail Olympus and Danner Shastas. I see Propet listed as having extra wides available. You kind of have to buy them when you see them and be very willing to return them if they're not perfect. Find boots that are the right size, don't assume they'll break-in.

Google EEE EEEE boots. Zappos and many sites let you search by size.

My daughter has very wide feet. She wears men's shoes, which works out fairly well, as men's shoes default to a wider style. But assuming you are male...

New Balance makes their shoes in different widths. I'm not sure they have true hiking boots, but since you said 'lightweight shoe / boot', you might want to check them out.

Montrail

I so love my Montrail Torre GTXs...they come in wide sizes and are very comfortable (I have an 11 wide) - I do not always need a wide, but in this boot it made a lot of difference.

I should have mentioned in my first post that Dunham Boots is the outdoor/hiking division of New Balance--same company.
-katie

I have had some luck with Merrells but find that I have to size up 1/2 size, which can be rather clumsy on the trail. I looked at the Torre's but wouldn't consider them to be lightweight. Although, after sloggin' it in for 12 miles in my Koflach's & snowshoes the other day, anything would seem lightweight!

I too have wide feet and agree with the others on New Balance and Dunham. Here is a link that provides direction to their outlet store in Lawrence, MA, where they sell such shoes really cheap and carry all the wide widths. They are open on Saturdays.
New Balance Lawrence .

I also have found success with the Garmont Flash boots. They were just wide enough for me, after I switched to a lower volume insole. They are amazingly comfortable and light. I also find that Tecnica and some of the Merrell boots are cut wider.

Regards,
Marty

JasonST

I have wide feet 11.5 EE and while I had made due in the 80's and 90's with merrell FGL Stitchdown boots (after the leather softens up and breaks in, you wear the boots out on the sides of the feet brushing into rocks and stuff over the years rather than the soles wearing out).
I bought some Danners Wide Mountain lights in 1994Mountain Lights II Here and really liked them for the next 4 -5 years.

What I have gotten into and really like is what other said here - The Dunham Boot Company, now owned by New Balance, (which happens to also be my wide foot sneaker/trail runner shoe of choice).
I have some paramount Waffle Stompers from New Balance WebExpress that fit me perfectly and their customer service has a great no hassle return policy. I got a couple by mail and tried them and sent the ones I didn't like back. At the time they told me if I am EVER dissatisfied with them, send them back for a full refund.
I have enjoyed them since.
Hope this helps
Rick

Vasque

Vasque boots come in wide. They have heavy and light leather and light weight Gore Tex models available from Campmor. I use the heavy leathers in summer. The light weight proved too insubstantial on rocky White Mountain trails, but were nice for some shorter hikes out west.