wild dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll probably never know, but I think it's feral. That skittishness, though, is also how lost dogs act when they know they're lost (nervous, darty), which is how they often end up hit. /QUOTE]

Yes , you will know, :):):)

It WAS Nya. Nya is fine, home safe and sound, but yes she had an adventure Monday afternoon.

My co-worker had family scattered Monday morning, and while usually there is someone at home to do doggie care during the day, that morning she did not have the luxury.

She packed Nya and Bella ( who is a pomeranian pekeinese mix) into her car to bring them to work until her eldest son got off an unusually extended overnight shift.

Co-worker and I work at the Sunday River Brew Pub. When son opened her car door to transfer the two dogs to HIS vehicle, Nya 's harness was not securely fastened and she bolted, untethered, from the parking lot.

Long story shorter, there were several people giving chase, but Nya did make it all the way to Newry Corner before she returned to the SRBC and was lured to capture/safety.

The local ACO , and OCSD, and Maine DOT Hanover were informed of her escapade and location at the time, and of her recovery later in the afternoon.

Northern Breeds like Nya have a " lope" gait that does resemble their feral cousins/ working/sled dogs. Normally at home and in her yard, her tail is recurved up over her back ( as a Keeshond would ), but when she is " on the run" she is truly built for speed, agility, and distance. That tail becomes a rear wheel drive directional.

Nya will soon have an actual body-hugging sled-dog harness in reflective material.

Co-worker looked at me today as if I had prescience when I said, " So, Did Nya Have an Adventure on Monday?"

HOW could I have known?????

We had a good laugh about Nya's picture on the internet, and many kind folks being concerned.

There you have it...... Nya home safe, others watched out for her and cared. Many thanks to all.

Breeze

case solved! My wild dog has a name and she's home!:)

She does have a name and she is safe at home. Nya has all the genotype and phenotype of a Canid born and conditioned to cover distance efficiently with purpose and speed.

Anyone's guess as to whether that dang dog actually has brain pan space for a Brain Fart Learning Moment, or a quarter to buy a clue, but her genes do drive her behavior. When she is off tether, she is going to run.

Thank you natron.

Breeze

If the tail were up over the back, I'd be 100% certain that's a Norwegian Elkhound. What weight and height was this dog compared to a purebred German Shepherd Dog (which is typically 70-100 pounds)? Did you ever see the tail coiled over the back?

Markings and size fit but coat looks too thin and a bit too tan in the undertones for an Elkie but I can definately see it in the mix - also, Elkies are a bit straight and wide in the rear and this guy/guy has angulation closer to a GSD (though not so severe).