Wildcat via ski trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I am thinking of heading up to the Wildcats by way of the Polecat ski trail.

What do I need to know? Should i expect to be slogging through waist-high grass, avoiding hidden boulders, blood thirsty ticks and berry-eating bears?

I came down via the Polecat around this time last year. No biggie. There were a few wet areas that might be a little trickier this year due to more rain. For the most part there was a faint track from being used as a hiking trail, and these often led through drier ground and made for very little "wading" through high grass. No bears...I was kinda hoping for one. ETA: I didn't find any ticks on me after that hike.

It's a nice descent route as it provides almost continuous views of Mt. Washington. I came down as the sun was dipping behind the mountain...spectacular!
-vegematic

Don't forget very little shade, depending on the time of day. I descended the ski trails (not Polecat, though) last July and found it to be very furnace-like. A hat was a must. I took more breaks than usual, just so I could step off into the trees for a bit and find some shade.
Oh, and I did see a bear off in the distance, but by the time I got there, he was long gone. :)

I descended Polecat and it was not difficult at all. Stay all the way to the right for the best footing. It was no issue, I ran down it in about 15 minutes and the temps went from 32 at the summit when I started and quickly rose to 68 degrees at the base!

Did it yesterday, there is a mowed swath as they encourage people to ride up/walk down and a lot of them were

As mentioned, there is less shade (but also more breeze) than regular hiking trails