Wildcats From PNVC - The Only Way, 1/28/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 28, 2012: Wildcats

Trails: Lost Pond Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail, Nineteen Mile Brook Trail

Summits: Wildcat “D”, Wildcat “A”

Hikers: Dave Langley, Mike Lynch, Matt, Fitz, Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (PNVC) was the meet location for this one. When Sue and I arrived we ran into Mike. He asked if it was alright to join the hike. Of course, we had plenty of room – it’s a big place. Next Dave arrived and we got talking about spotting a couple vehicles at NMB and decided to take care of it while waiting for the others to arrive. As we were leaving the lot, Fitz pulled in and I stopped to explain what we were doing. Then Matt pulled in and I did a replay with him. At NMB there were two groups getting organized. We enjoyed seeing MEB, Jen, Mtn Pa, and Michael and expected to see them again later in the day.

Back at PNVC we all grabbed our things and set off. We didn’t know how to approach the day but soon made a decision. A short distance into Lost Pond Trail we stopped for the snowshoes. The snow depth varied from “not too bad” to “painfully deep”. We were following a few sets of boot tracks. As we worked our way along Lost pond Trail we passed a small group of bare booters evidently discussing if their plans for the day made sense. We never saw them again. Now we’re hiking unbroken trail and working a “100 step rotation”. In other words, the person out front counts 100 steps and then goes off the side of the trail to rotate to the back of the line and the next person in line takes the lead for 100 steps. With six people taking their turn it’s a good way to spread the pain to all group members.

We made it to the start of Wildcat Ridge Trail, had a short break, and started the climb. There was no way around it, just climb. The trail was all ice under the crusted snow. For most of the climb the snow was really deep. Poor footing, deep snow, “two-steps-forward-slide-one-step-back”, at times using all four to make forward progress; yeah – we had it, winter hiking at its best. I really like this trail a lot but on this hike it was a test. I’d still take this climb over a ski trail any day.

Mid way up the lower steep sections we came to a point where the trail is normally pretty narrow across a ledge with a steep downhill drop. This was completely drifted in and we were faced with a side slope of ~60 degrees and a long drop that would definitely leave a mark. We all agreed it looked too dangerous to attempt. Instead, we back-tracked roughly twenty yards and started a bushwhack bypass to this section of ledge. We saw a section of relatively open birch amongst the conifers and decided it was the approach we’d take. Slowly we were able to make our way up through the first small section and then there was another clear patch that led up. Up was the direction we wanted to go. We worked left and up and soon managed to land back on the trail. That was fun!

With the bushwhack distraction out of the way we were back to the work of breaking the trail to the ridge. It was more of the same all of the way up. We made it to the lower ridge, enjoyed some easier trail-breaking for a short time, and were back into the steeps. Wildcat Ridge Trail has several very open ledge sections that can be a little intimidating on a good day. We didn’t really have a good day but these open ledges were their usual treat. We enjoyed terrific views on our way up. They provided some nice reward for our efforts. A couple of the ledges are typically pretty difficult but the combination of ice and snow provided a reasonably good surface for our snowshoes to work with and we had little trouble in making the climbs to the top of each.

Note to Jim & Brian: There was one very large blowdown low on the first steep section. It completely blocks the trail. There is a bypass established to get past. I can send a picture if you want one. Otherwise, your section of trail (PNVC to Wildcat “E”) is a real treat.

We made Wildcat “E” peak and could hear the humming of the ski lift. We were all pretty sure the trail would be much easier from here through the remainder of our hike. For some reason not many people like Wildcat Ridge Trail from PNVC and on this hike it was a tough trip, but it’s a terrific way to the ridge. A common alternative is to ascend and/or descend via the Polecat Ski Trail on Wildcat Ski Area. We really don’t enjoy hiking ski trails.

We enjoyed a needed break at the top of the lift at Wildcat Ski Area. We had bright sun, a very light breeze, and mild temperature. Within a short time we were re-fueled and ready to dig in for more of Wildcat Ridge Trail. Gradually, we all set off for the top of Wildcat “D” and the observation deck. Leaving the ski area we found the trail was broken out as expected. We paid a visit to the observation deck, got a few summit pictures, and soon started into the hike to Wildcat “A” peak. Even though the majority of work for the day happened on the climb to Wildcat “E”, the hike to Wildcat “A” is over some pretty rough trail and provides a test, especially if you’re as beat-up as we were from the main climb.

We hiked the ridge. One by one we cleared “C” peak, “B” peak and on to “A” peak. There, the packs dropped and we stopped for a break and some pictures of course. This was it; all we had left was downhill back to the trailhead and waiting vehicles. Some of the downhill was really steep. We stepped over the edge and started the controlled drop to Carter Notch; at least I think most of it was controlled – Fitz might disagree. Toward the bottom of the descent we met MEB, Jen, and Michael headed the other way. We all stopped for a brief visit and were soon back to the job of finishing our hikes. We reached the end of Wildcat Ridge Trail in Carter Notch at the junction with Nineteen Mile Brook Trail and enjoyed one last break at Carter Notch before the 3.9 miles to the trailhead.

Nineteen Mile Brook Trail is a high traffic trail. We had clear sailing to the trailhead. Soon, we were in the trailhead lot for Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, packing our things into the waiting vehicles, and preparing to return to PNVC to retrieve the other vehicles and prepare for the trip home.

The really nice part of a hike like this is the memories it leaves behind. We had a tough day, because of the climb to Wildcat “E” peak on Wildcat Ridge Trail a very tough day. Polecat would have been easier, and faster, but not nearly as enjoyable and the memories wouldn’t be the same. Thanks to everybody for joining in this twisted entertainment. I really hope you all are not only happy it’s over but are also happy you did it. It was definitely a good day in the mountains.

Pictures will follow.

:)