Wildcats

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I apologize but having climbed the Wildcat range from Carter Notch Hut 18 years ago in the winter I couldn't remember if the ski trails were a good way of coming down Wildcat A

We plan on ascending Wildcat Ridge, climbing the peaks and descending via the ski trails instead of Carter Notch. Seems like it'd be an quicker road walk back to Pinkham that way. Does the ski area disapprove of this?

The ski area doesnt really care about hikers coming down the ski trails. (A lot of tourists take the tram up and walk down) I would recomend that you take the Polecat down as a lot of the trails are very scrubby. The Polecat is a little longer but the grades are better and its grass all the way. Also good for wild strawberries later in the season. As you are are on top facing down, just keep right.

This past Sunday we did this hike. Unfortunately you can't hike from A down the trails. We parked the car at Wildcat and walked to the Lost Pond trail across the street from Pinkham notch visitors center (20 minute walk). We climbed up and over Wildcat E thru A and turned around back to D where the trails are. It is 2 miles each way from the ski trails to Wildcat A. It took us almost 3 hours to go from D to A and then back to D. We decended via Upper Polecat and took the shortcut down Tomcat Schuss.

You can also stash a bicycle at ski area and then coast back to your car at 19 Mile Brook.

-dave-

Thanks for all the help! Great information. Sounds like the Polecat trail is the way to go. I just printed up a map of the ski trails.

Dave it sounds like you've done that before:)

Jim lombard said:
Dave it sounds like you've done that before:)
Actually, no, I've hitched. But I ran into a friend on the ridge doing that (actually he did the Carters and the Wildcats) and it seemed like a great plan.

-dave-