Wilderness Thoughts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the decision memo:

Quote:
6.1 This structure is being removed because it is unsafe for use and it does not conform to management direction in the Wilderness Act.

So safety was mentioned first, then wilderness. But it seems to me that presenting two reasons allows for convenient dodging back and forth depending on who's asking.
My understanding is that the basic structure was sound, but things like the tredway needed repair and the cost to repair was similar to the cost to remove.

Doug

There are lots of "fishing pole" Wilderness boundaries along roads out West
The Weminuche is cut in half by the train...then there are compromises like allowing outfitters to use motors in the Boundary Waters.

i realize this is water under the bridge(doh!) but i never heard any of the 6 billion people on the planet ever say that the bridge over the pemi was ruining the wilderness experience. i never heard anyone mention it. The point stated earlier was well taken, that it will be interesting to see if anyone is killed or injured crossing the river as a result of this bridge being removed, and what the cost of that is. I remember the bridge as a nice way to get over the river, and all i ever heard when they suggested removing it, was the same thing from everyone else. I am not surprised at all that the pieces are still there, and wouldn't doubt it they were still there in 20 years. It will be interesting to see how this washes out(doh!)