Wildflower Hike Suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
I have one precious day to hike . . . June 16. I would like to see wildflowers in bloom, preferable lots and lots of them. Any suggestions of hikes in the Northeast that will fulfill my wildflower craving? I was thinking of checking out the Alpine Garden . . . any recommended routes, if I choose that hike? Also any other suggestions to see fields of flowers right now is most welcome! Thank you.

sli74

NOTE: The mount washington road race is sat June 16th. Also, motorcycle week carries over into that weekend, too. Plan your driving and hiking accordingly.

...but to answer your question: Up Huntington, across alpine garden, down lion head, or continue across the "lawn" above tux and down boott spur.

Last edited:
A few years ago I did my alpine flower hike on Mt Washington road race day (June 21st that year) but did not experience any more zaniness than is otherwise up there on a fine weekend day. I went up the Jewell Trail which had a nice selection of forest flowers and when you broke out into the open, the mountain flowers were nice as well. I actually found that the Mt Clay loop had a wonderful profusion of alpine flowers, better than the alpine garden, at least on that day IMHO.

Have fun,
JohnL

I'll second JohnL's Mt. Clay suggestion - that's my favorite Presi. As for lowland flowers, it's hard to go wrong. One of my favorite loops is up Dicey's Mill (Passaconaway summit optional) and down the Walden Trail as far as you care to go - to Mt. Wonalancet, or Old Mast Road, or Kelley Trail.

On the other hand, with blackflies and all, maybe it's best to stick to an open, hopefully breezy summit.

If you want some company, give a shout and keep us up to date on your plans.

They won't be ready for your hike, but the End-O-July, Beginning-O-Aug, there are two types of wild Orchids on the bike path north of the the last exit in Franconia Notch. There's a tree in the middle of the bike path and just beyond it on the right is a group of Large Purple Fringed Orchids that blow away the smell of Lilacs.
A bit farther down, just before the next brook crossing, there's a Brown Orchid I forget the name of, also on the right.
And lastly down near the end of the path, say an 1/8th of a mile before the Shookumchuck tr. on the right are some more LPFO.

My suggestion is the Caps Ridge Trail to Gulfside. Then through Monticello lawn and on to the Clay Loop. Ive done this many times. This time of year I want out of the woods ASAP to beat the flies. Anyway, I have always seen quite a few Lady Slippers on the Caps Trail and the Lawn can be beautiful if your timing is right. Take the Cornice back to Caps. Hope this helps.

The lower portion of the Stony Brook trail up Moriah is always lovely in June with lady slippers, clintonia, etc.

But I was also seeing lots of nice stuff on Bunnell Notch trail and Carter Dome trail this weekend.