Wildlife stalking near the Forks, Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hi,

I am going up with a group in August to do a little rafting on the Kennebec. It is my responsibility to organize the 'wildlife walks'.

Can anyone suggest a good trail, forest road, or other spot in the area to go looking for wild creatures? I'll get our campers up before dawn if I can. I'll probably also organize a nature walk around dusk.

If you have any suggestions in the area of the Forks, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

No?

Hey!
Does no one go to the Forks? Or is there no wildlife there?
I am thinking about maybe Moxie Falls? Or the big swampy area near the beginning of the road into Grand Falls?

I've heard of Moxie Falls but I've never been there. You might want to try and e-mail the Forks chamber of commerce. Funny living much of my life in Maine and the one time I went white water rafting was in Colorado.

eMail: [email protected]

Moxie Falls -- worth going to, but don't expect much wildlife. Very popular place for humans, though less so in the wee hours.

Moxie and Pleasant Ponds might have better wildlife sightings, but it can be tough to get in there. Access Pleasant out of Caratunk and Moxie out of the Forks. Decent wildlife along the Harris Dam / Indian Pond road.

Tramper:

Just take everyone for a ride on the road at sunrise or sunset -- up in that neck of the woods the moose are everywhere, you have to dodge them on the road not to hit one!! They will be going on a group hike to check the humans out!

Tramper Al:
I suggest you talk with Steve Longley, the Kennebec Ferryman in Caratunk. 207-663-4441 or [email protected]
I bet you'll see more wildlife driving 201 and the roads to Pleasant and Long Ponds then you'll see walking around the ponds themselves, though.

TJ

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. I will try to track down Go and the Ferryman too.

Certainly it is likely we'll see a moose or two just by driving about in that area. Still, it's more fun to spot the mooses on a nature walk than to see them driving down the highway in a VW camper, laughing it up and missing the turnoff to the trailhead.