Willey & Field -- Jan. 3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
I figured I'd post a trip report for my first two winter 4-K's... it was a difficult day weather-wise. I got up at 3:30 a.m. to brave the icy roads to NH and I met Donna at Crawford Depot at 8 a.m. with snow whipping along the parking lot in a stiff breeze. After a short wait, we figured no one else was planning to join us so we headed over to the Kendron Flume trailhead.

After borrowing a pair of goggles from Donna and getting ourselves situated, we headed up the trail at around 8:15. The trail had just a couple inches of fresh snow but was completely bearbootable. Kendron Flume itself was partially frozen and very beautiful in the snowfall. Donna is a much faster hiker than I am, but she was kind enough to wait for me at the stream crossings and icy spots. However, our slower pace allowed Julie to catch up with us so we headed up Willey's steep slopes as a trio. The snowfall had changed over to rain as we made our way up the rotton ladders and steep slope. However, I finally made it up to the summit for my first Winter 4-K peak at around noon with Donna & Julie waiting for me there.

After lagging so far behind and feeling just plain exhausted, I thought about turning around so that Julie and Donna could make both Field and Tom without having to wait for me. However, they both convinced me to keep going to Field, where the descent was much easier and less dangerous. Convinced, I pushed on and was very surprised when I made it to to summit of Field for my 2nd winter peak. I had a grand time butt-sliding down Field as well to get back to the car. During the last half-mile or so, the rain finally stopped and the clouds started to clear a bit... it figures.

My plans may have been too ambitious... or I just was too tired from driving up the same morning for this hike. Considering my difficulties climbing these two, I decided I probably was not up for the Libery & Flume hike. so I decided to head on home instead.

Nevertheless, I had a great time meeting you Donna & Julie!

- Ivy

great trip

It was a great trip despite the rain and cold. The spectacular scenery with glitering branches covered in ice and snow make it all worth the effort.

Bare booting conditions for sure.

Aw, shucks, Marge and I were waiting in the Crawford Path parking lot till 8:15. We figured you guys were all still in bed! Anyway, we had a nice hike to Nancy Cascades instead which definitely required snowshoes.

Sorry to have missed you Audrey! It was tough to see if there was anyone else waiting in the parking lot with all the snow whipping around.

Perhaps we'll get a chance to hike together another time.

- Ivy

We missed you Audrey

Sorry Audrey. I was looking forward to hiking with you again and meeting Marge. I tried to watch for cars coming in at the Crawford lot. I kept my car running in hopes someone would see me through all that windy snow fall. I even stopped a couple of cars to see if they were waiting for us.

Glad you had a good hike anyway. Catch you again some other time.

Happy hiking!

donna

Can somebody settle an dispute on pronunciation

Is it "Willey" pronounced like in "Willy" Wonka or like "Wile E" Coyote?

I've always heard it as "Willy" Wonka but someone told me I was incorrect

??????:confused:

I had occasion to do some research on the Willey family several years ago. According to a descendant, they pronounce it as in "Willy".

Can you tell that I love these pronunciation discussions?