Wilson Sunday 1-30-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
Didn't know what to expect and was surprised to see the trail broken out! This is how it has been in the past...the FUN usually begins after Emily Proctor Shelter :eek:

Once at the shelter I got wind pants and hooded windbreaker on as that's what's most always needed.

When I first did this winter hike a few years ago I'd thought once I got to the Long Trail it would be cake :p Live and learn!

If it's not been broken out the trail could be anywhere. Snow covered branches hang down obscuring the trail.

Today the trail was broken towards Wilson (and Breadloaf). After less than 100 yards there were tracks and more tracks. I followed them all and all dead ended. Closest was 1/4 mile from the summit so I continued that way finding a few spruce traps and one snowshoe coming off. This is about as close as I got last time before giving up.

I had a couple hours so I went back closer to the shelter and started bushwhacking. More spruce traps and 3 or 4 pretty thick areas were pushed through in about waist deep snow at times. Checking the GPS it seemed to be pointing the wrong way but it has worked well in the past. Finally it looked like I was on the trail and it was headed the right way...a good thing :p

Finally I arrived at what looked like the highest summit on the map but just to be sure I continued to the furthest summit about another quarter mile but all on the trail.

When I logged out I noticed the folks that had gone before wrote they had lost the trail...hadn't noticed that when I logged in.

Now I have solo'ed all the peaks in Vermont and New Hampshire that are on the NE 100 Highest list...doesn't take much to amuse me sometimes :D

Now if I can get to Hamlin and Baxter I'll have completed all in winter. I'm guessing that won't happen real soon :confused:

Hike on!!!

Congratulations. Thanks for an unusual report. I love that area in winter, but you're right -- the LT can be virtually nonexistent. Good job toughing it out.

We had the same experience!

We had the same experience when we did Breadloaf and Wilson few years ago in mid-winter. We went up from Skylight Pond Trail. Luckily we had fair sized group to help find the AT. We all expected the AT to be easier to follow. We ate so much time route finding we came out in the dark in spite of a very early start. It was beautiful forest in the winter. We didn't find an obviouos summit for Wilson. One of the group verified we were on the summit when he downloaded his GPS track so we know we were there.

I bet that wasn't as easy as you make it sound. Nice job.
Go get those Katahdin peaks :cool: