Winter 46er list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
To some people, seeing others get their winter46 rocker by always following broken trails, lessesn the value of their own. Going back rather far, when Ed Bean, Guy Waterman, Fred Hunt, etc got theirs, it was a REAL challenge. So one of those guys tells someone they climbed the winter 46, that someone says, 'so what? Lots of people do it.'

This is more or less what I was trying to point out- after the first the accomplishment does get "easier", the psychological "can it be done" has been answered and that can be a huge thing. As time goes on trails, knowledge of good bad routes, the presence of others attempting the same thing, improved weather reports, all make it easier over time. Despite that an individual can still choose to approach their climbing in a manner that negates many of these advantages.

I had forgotten how the storms of the past 50+ years affected the openness of the forest.

Tom Rankin said:
Gee I like my number too! And a friend of mine is 4445.

Can you tell I'm fascinated with numbers? :D

We humans seem to be concerned about numbers, style, and our accomplishments. But I do like my number and your for that matter.
In response to the other threads:
To be truthful, most people in my life couldn't name two Adirondack High Peaks, little own care about the winter 46. If I climbed for admiration I was sadly mistaken. If I climbed to be unique, I was more so before I started. Every recognized accomplishment, big or small, has to be followed up with a publicity campaign. So, to keep myself in check, when I come home from each trip I tell my 6yr. old of all the wonderful mountains I climbed. Then I ask her if she loves me more now. I always get the same answer. Few people care about my accomplishments and that has to be ok. Reekee

Last edited:
Skyclimber2971w said:
Again I did not say anything that anyone else diminished my experience in any way. It's how I made the climb and the friendships along, that determined my experience and fun along the trails.

Stealing a peak to me, is "when one person works their butt off to get to the top of a peak and someone else just "waltzes" in after and has a cake walk to the summit." I also will say that I have agreed on many occasions with my hiking partner, "that we had all the fun," while breaking trails. Although we have had some of those "cake walks" ourselves. We though, however, did not rely on the Internet to get our peaks, we broke our own way, when needed. I do not share my info on the trails we broke. Let the others work just as hard as we did. Isn't that what Winter Climbing is all about? Excitement and challenge to the summits? Not knowing if your going to reach the top or not? Or has the new challenge become "how many cake walks can we get to the summits?"

Oh yes, I have already come to grips of reality on how Winter Climbing has changed throughout the years, as one put it to me, "you climbed in the Canister Era but now we are in the Computer Era," of climbing. Quite a difference. But my time of climbing was much more fun.

I've got to agree with you here, except on one point, or perhaps exception. I'll be the first to admit that since i've been stuck in atlanta for the last four years (thank god i'm finally returning to New York this fall) i haven't really had the chance to do much winter climbing. If you show up at a trail and it is already broken, i see nothing wrong with the climb. if you come upon the group that's breaking it, do your share and offer to take point for a while. If you find out that person x is doing hike y on an unbroken trail and show up just to have them break it for you or come upon the group that is breaking trail and do nothing, that is stealing a peak. Have you earned the peak through hiking it? technically yes, but it's that much cheaper and that much less of an accomplishment.

MMB
46R 5048

And I think the point Marta was making is your last one. That the internet, and things like the Trails Conditions have made "advance scouting" of whats broken out a science for many.

Peakbagr said:
And I think the point Marta was making is your last one. That the internet, and things like the Trails Conditions have made "advance scouting" of whats broken out a science for many.

I miss the simple days, "i'm doing santanoni on sunday [not really, but a guy can dream], i'll check the weather reports and will bring what i'll need for all conditions" with the obligatory 'shucks, it's raining/snowing/sunny/broken/unbroken etc.'
lol

mmb 46r5048

While we are busy diminishing the accomplishments of those that take the "easy way out", let's not forget to excoriate the second class citizens who purposely choose NICE WEATHER days for their pursuits. These low-life cherry pickers really have no standing among the weekend warriors who regularly battle ground blizzards and sub-zero temperatures, lugging 20 pounds of heavy weather gear, simply because they don't have the luxury of hiking mid-week on a choice day.

If fact, I think there should be a separate patch for these freeloaders, perhaps with an large asterisk, just so that all the "real" winter hikers out there can spot them at 50 meters.
:D