Winter Backpack Help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5600 cu.in. pack for me. It is an EMS store brand. Like it, though I wish it were a tad bigger, or I need to get a down -20 sleeping bag (because the synthetic I have now is extremly bulky and eats up a lot of pack space :()

Brian

Brian - is that the now-discontinued EMS Summit 5500? That's the one I have - it's a pretty good 90L pack - I wish there were side pockets on it though. There's still a big sale now on their 'Workhorse' Pack series, which includes an 80L pack for $85.

If I were buying it today, I'd probably go with the Osprey, as I love my Stratos from them, but as Chip mentioned, there is still a Lowe Alpine on eBay as of this morning.

Scott

Random sampling from an 8-person trip to Alaska:

-(4) Lowe Countour IVs (or an earlier version of Lowe that had no writing left :eek:)
-(1) Lowe (New model, same pack, don't recall name)
-(1) Osprey Atmos
-(1) Arc'Tyrex Bora
-(1) Cabella's Frame Pack

All carried 70 lbs bushwacking well. Guess which one carried the rifle?:)

I'm guessing the Cabella's external frame. I love hiking with my old Kelty external, loaded to the max, and especially enjoy the "looks" I get :rolleyes:.

There aren't any Hiking Snobs, right ?

I have the Osprey Ariel 75, for women. I use this pack year round, carries a load well, never sore hips, shoulders or back. I get all my winter gear, snowshoes, ice axe, crampons, micro-spikes, clothing and food in it no problem. I keep things like gloves, hats, headlamps in the top pouch, first aid kit, tp, rain gear in the front pocket, the things I may need during the hike. I also love the fact of the bottom zip. When we were hiking the JMT this past summer we got caught in a t-storm/hail storm. I had my tent out of the pack faster then my hiking partner had his pack off and nothing in my pack got wet, just unzipped the bottom and pulled the tent out and started putting it up. After wearing that pack for 5 weeks straight I wouldn't use another one. I totally love my Osprey, may weigh a little more, but it makes up for it in carry. The pack fits well and carries a load well, the custom molded hip belt is awesome.

Good Luck - Cindy

Hi All,

I want to thank all of you for the advice and information. After trying on both the Whitney and the Bora with loads, I decided to go with the Bora. I liked the "ride" of the Bora over the Whitney, and I thought the Whitnew was a little wide. I like the more narrow profile of the Bora, and at the end of the day, the 80L should be plenty of room even with full winter gear going solo...

I'll be sure to follow up with my impressions as I get a few hikes on the pack. I'm excited to do a proper field test.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

Bryan