Winter boot question # 3 million!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I'm still working on finding the right winter boot but I've narrowed it down some. I tried on a pair of North Face Chilkats and liked em' a lot, but they are only rated to 25 below with moderate activity and I'm worried that won't be enough. Does anyone have any experience with either them or the North Face Baltoro or Lifty boot??? .... I think those other 2 are both rated to 40 below with moderate activity, but I'm not sure. I tried on the Salomon B52s, and while the length of the boot was right, I felt like my foot was sloshing around in there even with my normal liners and winter weight smartwools.
Maybe I need something else entirely (Plastics??? or some other mountaneering boot?), but I know that my Goretex leathers are about done for the year ..... My feet stayed pretty warm doing the bonds on Saturday, but the boots were very wet, loosening up often and didn't provide me with the protection or support I need. My toes and ankles are still healing and I just really want to find the right boot for the winter so I can get out there and not be concerned about being cold .... or crippled!!!
Thanks in advance for any advice or information :D,

I don't know the specifics of the boots mentioned, but with a strenuous activity be careful of getting boots that are too warm. Some -40 pac boots make your feet sweat so much, the felt liner gets soaked then when you slow down your feet get colder. I personally couldn't imagine wearing anything warmer than -25 for a winter hike.

Another thing to keep in mind with any boot is you do want to be able to wiggle your toes around. Constricting the feet in the boot will prevent good blood flow...which will then cause your feet to get cold.

Rent

I've responded to similiar threads before with the same answer..RENT. There is an amazing amount of product out there which is giving us all alot of choices these days.
To your advantage there are many different shaped boots out there because there is many different shaped feet. Finding the right one that supports your foot but also keeps it warm is critical as I am sure you are already aware.
Many Outfitters will let you rent and if you buy later on they will apply the rental towards your purchase. Many of them donot advertise this; you need to ask. In general trying before you buy is the only way you will get a clear picture.

yea - minus 25 is pretty warm rating. can't imagine needing anything warmer than that - if its colder out - think of staying in!! thats damn cold. I am not ashamed to admit it!!

gaiagirl said:
I tried on a pair of North Face Chilkats and liked em' a lot, but they are only rated to 25 below with moderate activity and I'm worried that won't be enough. :D,

My Columbia Bugaboo's are very similar to the Chilkats and are rated to -25. They're plenty warm...

Onestep

I tried on the Salomon B52s, and while the length of the boot was right, I felt like my foot was sloshing around in there even with my normal liners and winter weight smartwools.
With my boots, replacing the footbeds made a big improvement in fit and comfort.

Jim

Supergaitors

These have seemed to fallen somewhat out of popularity but I still use them. Insulated Supergaitors will add warmth and waterproofness to many boots. You must be careful to properly fit them. Much of the time you can use a lighter weight boot (ex. Non Plastic) with a Supergaitor to add better warmth and waterproofness without sacrificing the suppleness that the lighter weight boot gives you that you might not have with a heavier boot. Although I will say there are many Pastic and Composite boots out there now that are WAY more supple than the Frankstein like boots that came out in the late 70's and earlier 80's.

Chilkats

I used a pair of Chilkats last winter for day hikes (with a vapor barrier liner) and thought they were great. They also held my G10s without a problem.

gaiagirl said:
Does anyone have any experience with either them or the North Face Baltoro or Lifty boot??? .... I think those other 2 are both rated to 40 below with moderate activity, but I'm not sure.

The North face Baltoro have two models, one is 200 grams for -25 and the other is 400 grams for -40. I bought the 200 gram Primaloft insulation model and am looking forward to trying them out this winter. There's no way I'd be out in minus 40 anyway. I chose them over the Koflachs and Salomons after an hour of walking around, got some funny looks putting crampons on them.

Jim lombard said:
The North face Baltoro have two models, one is 200 grams for -25 and the other is 400 grams for -40. I bought the 200 gram Primaloft insulation model and am looking forward to trying them out this winter. There's no way I'd be out in minus 40 anyway. I chose them over the Koflachs and Salomons after an hour of walking around, got some funny looks putting crampons on them.

I have only tried this style of boot on but not actually used them in the feild. I would be interested in your feedback on the ridgidity of the sole in relation to using a crampon. I would assume that one would use a flexible crampon but how well do they stay on the boot. Again I have only tried these on in the store..are they 3/4 or full shank?

skiguy said:
I have only tried this style of boot on but not actually used them in the feild. I would be interested in your feedback on the ridgidity of the sole in relation to using a crampon. I would assume that one would use a flexible crampon but how well do they stay on the boot. Again I have only tried these on in the store..are they 3/4 or full shank?

I'll let you know how they work out. I don't think they're full shank. The 6 pointer crampons fit nicely, the 12 pointers took some adjustment, they always do. I have the strap on flexible kind. I was impressed with the snowshoe point and the primaloft insulation plus a vapor barrier.

These boots all seem to be similar, lightweight winter, snowshoe/hiking boot. Many different companies make them, but they're all pretty much the same.

I used to work in an outdoor store, and occasionally worked in the footwear department. Those ratings really mean nothing, who tests them anyway? Yeah, negative forty with moderate activity, but if I stand around in mine at 10 degrees for more than 15 minutes or so my toes start to get cold. And what is "moderate" activity? So, it really depends on YOU more than the boot. Do your feet get cold easily? Mine do.

Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, some of the "smooshiness" can be attributed to compaction of the insulation over time. Upon further inspection of my boots, I think that may be part of my blister problem. So perhaps if you want to use them for a few seasons it's better to go with less insulation.

Did I miss something?

What are you using them for?

Weeklong winter camping trips, day trips to places like Holyoke Range or Belknap Mt. or are you looking at doing a winter Presi-Traverse? no one boot is really a good choice for all three of those trips.

You were out on the Bonds a couple of weeks ago, wearing what? Where your feet cold? If no & you were wearing summer boots, -25 should be fine if day hiking

If winter camping double boots are key. If only snowshoeing Sorels ideal, If winter camping on a presi-traverse, plastics.

Now we all can't have 6 pairs of boots so ask yourself, sacrifice comfort for go anywhere anytime, get plastics, go anytime snowshoe, sorels.

Think -10 is too cold, then go lighter & keep comfort since you won't be out no matter what. (My wife would call that using common sense, I don't use it myself though ;) )

More info will get you a solution for you instead of learning what we wear. What we wear sems to fit what we do & how our bodies react to cold.

I own a pair of Chilkats, used them all last winter in the Catskills, and will do so again this year. I wore snowshoes on them many times, and flexable, strap-on Stubai crampons two or three times. One crampon came off once, otherwise no problems w/ the crampons. I think even that one time could have prevented had I put the crampon on w/ more care in the 1st place.

One thing to keep in mind w/ these, or any other boots w/ the rubber outsole all around the toe, is this-if the inside becomes wet from sweat (which it will), it takes the toe-box a long time to dry, since rubber doesn't breath. I'm going to try VBLs in these boots for the first time today. Hopefully they solve the problem.

As for warmth, lots of good advice given. Warmth is such a complex subject-keeping your feet warm probably has almost as much to do w/ keeping your core warm as it does w/ boots. I agree w/ Sleeping Bear about the ratings.
-25? Sure, whatever. I believe many boot ratings are even more ludicrous than many bag ratings. Mike P also makes a good point that you really need to parse out how warm your feet tend to be, what you'll use the boots for, etc. I use my Chilkats in the Catskills and usually had no problems. But in the Whites, I'm sure you regularly encounter significantly lower temps and greater wind exposure. Good luck w/ whatever you choose.

Matt

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I guess my hiking plans and other specifics are pretty important in making this choice, and I have of course been thinking about those things, though I do wish I could magically come up with the one perfect boot :D ..... My feet do have a tendency toward getting cold, as is the case for many women I think, but this has been less of a problem since I started using VBLs. I would like to be able to do a Presi Traverse in winter, but that would be a rarity in general so if I were to do it, I would rent from EMS or IME I think. I have had problems with both my Goretex hikers and my Kamik pack boots in the past regarding fit and I think that's my biggest concern now ..... The Kamiks were too roomy and my leg would actually come up and out of the boot particularly with the weight of a snowshoe on them and coming down would then be a nightmare of squashed toes (OUCH :( !!!). I had the same problem with my Goretex leathers last week on the Bonds. At first the Stabilicer I was using felt too small and it was as if it was constricting my foot and toes inside the boot. Then as the leather began to get pretty wet outside, they got pretty loose and sloppy on me resulting in, of course, jammed toes, heel blisters, you name it! OUCH again :( !!! ) Maybe the problem is my feet, maybe I'm just starting to figure out what works and what doesn't and it's all just a learning experience ....But, I would definitely prefer to learn without the blisters and swollen toes next time if possible, hence putting the question to all of you with more winter hiking experience than me!!! :D
Thanks for the advice and feedback everybody. It's greatly appreciated.

I mentioned in my earlier post that I'd be trying VBLs in my Chilkats today. They worked very well. The boots stayed dry inside and outside, due to the VBLs,gaiters and a fresh coat of Nikwax. You mention that you already use VBLs, which is a major plus if you do decide to go w/ the Chilkats or any other boot w/ a rubber outsole around the toe.

Matt

winteras by Merrel

I love my Merrel Winteras. My grivel 12s crampons are a tight fit at size 13, but I make then work. They keep my feet really warm, but dry so I haven't had an issue with freezing in the morning after a really cold night. The tread on them is really aggressive and that always helps!

Last edited:
As a new addition, Mad Rock is comming out with two winter/ice boots soon. Their prices are very competitive and maybe one of these will do the trick. I don't know what the real difference is between them, probably an insulation factor thing is my guess. I do know that I'd rather pay $200.00 for a winter/ice single boot than $450.00.