Winter Boots for Wide Feet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switchkid

Reaction score
"Hobbit", "duckfoot", "freak"... yeah I've heard it before. They're actually not that bad, but if i try to fit my feet into a boot that's "my size", it can start to hurt pretty quick. I've generally dealt with this by getting boots a full size up and dealing with the extra room or half size up and wearing them super-loose. Whatever works, but ideally I could find a naturally wide winter boot.

I get pretty much all my gear used off ebay etc so I'd like to start a list of wide winter/mountaineering boots to be on the look out for.

Thanks!

This thread comes up frequently so you definitely want to search for prior threads. I have size 13 EEEE feet so I can emphasize . I have never found any plastic mountaineering boots that are wide. I have gone to IME in North Conway in the past and even they couldnt find any thing that fit without going to a larger size and then the boots are not very good for front pointing as my toes are way back from the front of the boot. Years ago Scarpas were the widest but it was relative. They still werent wide enough but better than koflachs. IME claimed that I could have a ski boot fitter stretch the plastic wider but I tried a couple of fitters in north conway and in both cases, its didnt work so I expect it dependent upon the material the boot is made from. My scarpas are now retired as I found that I could only put up with the pain for so long and hiking the AT probably worsened things by widening out my feet.

For general winter hiking, New Balance has a new 1099 series boot. Its good for general winter hiking but like any other new balance its snug so go up one size. In general, it doesnt feel super durable but does seem to be warm and the width is as good as I have found. I havent checked widefoot.com lately but on occasion they have some 6E boots but they are usually more of a work boot.

I also have pair of Columbia wides that I bought last year at Labonvilles in Gorham NH. I went up one size and then scrapped the insole and went with superfeet, plus I glued a strip of closed cell foam to the tongue to eat up some volume. They are warm and somewhat comfortable but have the same limitations with my toes sitting back from the front of the boot which impacts my gait somewhat.

Years ago I met someone with custom double leather winter boots, they were impressive but I think the leather double plastic boot business is long gone having been replaced by injection molded plastic boots.

Last edited:
Tom if you know any custom winter boot makers, I would appreciate a contact.

I have very wide feet & wear Columbia Bugaboots that have been very comfortable. I have a pair of Limmers that I love but they are not warm enough for winter use.

I wear limmers in the winter whenever I don't hike in my ski boots. I could see how you would want something insulated if you were just getting to the purchase now but fwiw - my limmers are just fine if you keep on moving and wear warm socks systems.

With a 14AA, I fall on the other end of the width spectrum. There are no of-the-shelf winter hiking boots available in that size. This was discussed with Limmer and Sons who offered to make an insulated winter leather boot with closed-cell foam. There was a year and a half wait at that time, about three years ago. Due to the proposed price, I opted for insulated work boots from Red Wing in a 14B width with 600 grams of thinsulate that surprisingly fit very well. Talk to the folks at Limmer.

double plastics I have koflach degres up a half size. in regular boots i have found danners and montrails in extra wide, but probably still a half size up. anything italian runs narrow.

This thread comes up frequently so you definitely want to search for prior threads.

Yup, I've searched a bit. A lot of recommendations of boots that can be found with a wide option. If I ever find a used pair of wide size mountaineering boots I'll jump on it.

I'm hoping to hear about boots that just run a little wide. But I am going to try and experiment with some superfeet insoles in larger size boots like you have done.

Sounds like you might want to check out a custom made boot. It might be worth it...

I totally would but I pretty much only do second hand. I'd never be able to afford mountaineering if I bought anything new, let alone custom!!

I have very wide feet & wear Columbia Bugaboots that have been very comfortable. I have a pair of Limmers that I love but they are not warm enough for winter use.

Scarpy, are your bugaboots the normal or the wide size?

double plastics I have koflach degres up a half size. in regular boots i have found danners and montrails in extra wide, but probably still a half size up. anything italian runs narrow.

Chip, I found in an older post that you we're considering tryina stretch your boots with ice... did you ever do it??? Also, on other threads/forums asolo broad peak, asolo makalu gv, and asolo pumori were recommended as running slightly wide which I found a lil confusing since I've also heard elsewhere that italian runs narrow...

Chip, I found in an older post that you we're considering tryina stretch your boots with ice... did you ever do it??? Also, on other threads/forums asolo broad peak, asolo makalu gv, and asolo pumori were recommended as running slightly wide which I found a lil confusing since I've also heard elsewhere that italian runs narrow...

I actually did have a pair of plastics professionally widened and I know you can have leather stretched. It's still not the same though obviously as getting the correct size. In winter I've been happy with my montrails and koflach degres a half size up (but with a liner I found buying an old pair of koflach randonee boots on line), so it's been a process. Non mountaineering I'd try New Balance and Columbia next.

What about a mukluk, like a Steger? They come in wide sizes. They aren't waterproof, so you might have to wear a NEOS over them in warmer weather, but I understand they are very comfortable. Occasionally they show up on eBay.

Last edited:
What about a mukluk, like a Steger? They come in wide sizes. They aren't waterproof, so you might have to wear a NEOS over them in warmer weather, but I understand they are very comfortable.
Mukluks are ok with snowshoes, but don't work with crampons.

Make sure the straps/bindings do not prevent circulation in your feet.

Doug

I totally would but I pretty much only do second hand. I'd never be able to afford mountaineering if I bought anything new, let alone custom!!

If winter hiking and mountaineering are important I would think the price of custom boots would pale in comparison to equipment for some other activities, or smart phone service or yuppie coffee shops or ... The right boots and winterwear can certainly be parsed together economically but when that's not the case, comfort and safety should take priority IMNSHO.

I wonder if something like Limmers could be built around, say, a layer of insulation? Why not a layer of goretex, too? I'll bet they can build anything you ask them to ... hmmmm, what about a shearling liner ... there goes the budget! Shop around for the right bootmaker, especially an enterprising one who realizes there is a niche market for wide feet.

With a base price in the $700 range for custom Limmers and a year and a half wait time for a "standard" custom boot (which is actually not as custom as many people think), I expect a truly custom insulated winter mountaineering Limmer boot would be significantly more. Realistically with a such a backlog, I dont see why they would be motivated to crank out such a beast.

During my search years ago for boots in anticpation of a Ranier trip, I made inquires to a couple of guiding firms and they referred me to a couple of retailers including IME. (I think Mountain Gear was another). Both were quite helpful but basically their approach was to try on stock boots until I found one with enough width and then live with the extra length.

If winter hiking and mountaineering are important I would think the price of custom boots would pale in comparison to equipment for some other activities, or smart phone service or yuppie coffee shops or ... The right boots and winterwear can certainly be parsed together economically but when that's not the case, comfort and safety should take priority IMNSHO.

Haha I don't have a cellphone or drink coffee... But yeah, the truth is that at some point I might have to just suck it up, save up, and shell out some big $ to get a pair of boots that really fit. Out of all the pieces of gear that you can spend money on, I think a really good pair of boots is worth it. So yeah, we'll see... I'm going to keep experimenting with second-hand boots for now though.

Mukluks are ok with snowshoes, but don't work with crampons.

Make sure the straps/bindings do not prevent circulation in your feet.

Doug

Ah yes, Switchkid is looking for a mountaineering boot. My mistake. What about a double boot with a moldable liner like a ski boot? Pricey, but worth looking for used.