Winter camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NumNum

Reaction score
I would like some information on winter camping in the high peaks, what to wear, use etc..... I want to be prepared, getting cccccold on the backside of marcy isnt an option, what can y'all tell me... :eek:

Num-cubed,

There's a lot to learn with winter backpacking. The best and safest approach is to go with others who are experienced and take an active role in learning from them.

However, for starters, layer up with windproof and BREATHABLE clothing (goretex or similiar, fleece, coolmax... NO COTTON). Limit your sweating as much as possible. Basically It can cool your body down much more than you want to.

Crampons and snowshoes are essential. An ice axe can be helpful, but to be honest, I don't use mine much.

Drink lots of water, and eat often to "stoke your furnance".

It's a blast! Have fun, and although safety is a primary concern with backpacking in general, it takes on extra signifigance in the winter. My first point about hiking with experienced others should reign supreme.

Just my 2 cents.

:)

definitly go with someone experienced. if not go into it head strong**

**this is of course you having knowledge a 3 season camping and can call yourself a verteran...

can't stress enough about layers, layers, layers... extra socks, fleece gloves, mitts, top fleeces, bottom fleeces, top and bottom thermals, sleeping bag at least rated to 0 degree, fleece blanket, gore-tex anything you can....

if your going this weekend and have never been camping in really cold temps like 0-10 degree, i would think twice about going. right now i can only imagine the trails are icy, snowy and wet... the worst...temps are going to drop real low in the peaks anything wet will freeze!!

be careful and good luck

REI has a decent and free course on Winter Camping too. Check the website to see if there's one in your area and when the next class is. It's usually 2 nights and just a few hours, and they run it about once a month.

While you waiting to go out (or inbetween trips), here's some good reading:

Winterwise: A Backpackers Guide, Dunn John M
Winter Hiking and Camping, Lanza, Michael
Winter Camping, Gorman (as mentioned by percious)
Allen and Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Skiing Book, O'Bannoe Allen, et. al. (although focusing on skiing activities it does contain some general winter camping tips and tricks)

You can get many of these books *used* on Amazon for less than a third of their cover price.

I would also recommend going out with a group. I would presume you already have some winter day hiking experience in the high peaks. If not, go out and get a little experience before you consider winter camping. My first experience winter hiking in the Adirondacks was staying with a group at Grace Camp in John's Brook Valley. Base camping out of the ADK Lodge is an option. They rent lean-tos right by the lodge, and if you stay here you can take advantage of the showers in the hikers building as well as sneaking in to warm up in front of the fireplace at the lodge if you have to.

Ditto the above, plus bring either a 4-season sleeping pad or two three-season sleeping pads. I always thought I was a "cold sleeper", then I bought a 4-season sleeping pad, and it made all the difference. Boil or heat water before going to sleep, put in a nalgene bottle, seal tight, and place in your sleeping bag for extra warmth. Plus you'll have water to drink/cook with in the morning.

A tent will add about 10 degrees of warmth, but don't zip it up tight, or else hoar frost will form inside and you'll wake up to a self-induced snowstorm whenever you move. Wear glove liners, they help insulate when you have to take your gloves off to perform detailed finger work (operating stoves, etc.) Wear a hat (or two) to prevent heat loss through the head. I pull one of my hats over my eyes to keep them warm. A haiku I had written some time ago based on a real event:

Minus 20 bag
Mummy, six inch breathing hole
Eyeballs freeze. That hurts.

Also, test your equipment in your backyard before heading for the hills.

Hey thanks for all the input, we have done several peaks already and some camping too, but have not done any winter camping yet, but want to prepare for it. We have also found that winter peaking is more fun than during the summer, easier in some regards with snowshoes on. I just wondered about the dressing for the sleep over in the woods, plan on trying it in the back yard before the backwoods. not a bad idea eh? and you though i was just good looking.... :p

One of the other options is to reserve one of the ADK leantos in John's Brook Valley. Nowadays you can never count on finding one of the state leantos vacant, but if you rent one, you can pitch your tent in it and tie a tarp across the front, a no-no in the state leantos. This will keep you much warmer.

John Graham said:
One of the other options is to reserve one of the ADK leantos in John's Brook Valley. Nowadays you can never count on finding one of the state leantos vacant, but if you rent one, you can pitch your tent in it and tie a tarp across the front, a no-no in the state leantos. This will keep you much warmer.

good idea, thanx john!!

I didnt see it mentioned earlier but learning to winter camp in the high peaks area of the ADK's is tougher than most winter camping in that you cant have campfires!. You would be amazed what a small campfire can do to warm things up.

Building a Campfire...in COLD WEATHER

peakbagger said:
I didnt see it mentioned earlier but learning to winter camp in the high peaks area of the ADK's is tougher than most winter camping in that you cant have campfires!. You would be amazed what a small campfire can do to warm things up.

Speaking of campfires, does anyone have any tips for getting a fire going in really cold weather? Last winter at the Diamond Notch Lean-to me and my friends were completely unsuccesful in getting a campfire lit.

I have good campfire skills, I know to build a small base of tinder and then build slowly with kindling before tossing on some logs, but it seamed that all the wood we found just would not light. We even tried dousing it with white gas, but even that failed.

Any tips would be helpful. We are equipped with lightnin' bug fire starters and storm proof matches.

We'll be in the Cats again next weekend.

I'll admit to a method that may raise eyebrows. I used to carry a small bag of charcoal when I camped in lean-tos with internal fireplaces, such as Harriman State Park. Some even carried those duralogs. Of course, back then, we were even known to carry alcholic beverages and a boom box.

John Graham said:
I used to carry a small bag of charcoal when I camped in lean-tos with internal fireplaces. Some even carried those duralogs.

We are by no means weight weenies, but weight is a factor since we will have a few miles with loaded packs before we can set up base camp. A duraflame log might not be a bad idea though, they don't weigh too much and we can make the newbies to our crew carry the load!

Desalad,
It is extremely hard work finding wood that is not absolutely soaked - I usually look for dead standing timber - Stuff that has fallen, but is leaning against another tree. I also look for lower dead branches on hemlocks & pines - Usually it is a lot of small stuff and not much big pieces.

However, for true winter backpack camping, (not car camping) I have not had a fire since around 94 - And then I recall sticking my whisperlight under some small dead branches to get them going, as they were so damp (Please don't follow my lead here).

Also for any other purpose, if I am backpacking, I no longer deal with fires due to the following (mostly the first one):
either I am too tired at the end of a day,
the shelter, lean-to or campsite is devoid of burnable wood,
there is a temporary fire ban or open fires are no longer allowed.

'Course if SherpaK is around, his duraflame firelog is always welcome!!