Winter campsite photo's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I'm curious about what other peoples winter campsites are like. I've attached two photo's showing one of mine from a couple of years ago at Railroad Notch/Little Meadows between Big Slide and Porter. It never went above 10 deg. and was mostly below 0 deg. We have a 20' x 5' light weight tarp we stretch around tree's to create a breeze free area to cook and hang out in. It only adds 1.25 lbs per person and is well worth having for extended trips. Even being shielded from a very light breeze in very cold temps makes a big difference. We generally hike to a base camp then bushwhack/peakbag from there. Our packs to base camp tend to be on the heavy side but we day hike with day Railroad Notch.jpgBlue room.jpgpacks and have a very comfortable camp to hang at when we return from a long day of whacking. Buddy

Sorry, I meant to post this in general backcountry. Can't figure out how to move it. Buddy

Yosemite, from a couple of different trips to the Badger Pass-Glacier Road area
IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

camp.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

Last edited:
Buddy, My tent is a two person tent, but I use it solo. I pulled almost everything on a small sled. I took this while I was packing up. Looking in through the front door. It also has a rear door with a small vestibule.
IMG_1244.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite the variety of camps Chip. What's that wood burning unit in the leanto. I could get into having one of those. Buddy

Where is the megamid love?

AMF: Our Meals Tent at Ingraham on Rainier was a Megamid. What you don't see in this pic is that the guides had it dug out under so it was like walking down into an entire round room with seating around the perimeter and workspaces. Very nice:

IMG_0115.JPG