Winter jump off point for NH peak bagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness83

Reaction score
Hey Everybody, Thanks in advance! I'm looking for a good jumping off point close enough to get an early start with out getting up at 3:30am to bag a few peaks in the whites. Normally I'd just throw my bivy bag in a snow pile and call it a night but I did some recent "impromptu" deer hunting with my car and am borrowing a car significantly nicer than my duct tape mobile and the threat of break ins worries me. I'd prefer a spot to car camp but I'm open to suggestion otherwise.
Thanks again, Dylan

Hey Everybody, Thanks in advance! I'm looking for a good jumping off point close enough to get an early start with out getting up at 3:30am to bag a few peaks in the whites. Normally I'd just throw my bivy bag in a snow pile and call it a night but I did some recent "impromptu" deer hunting with my car and am borrowing a car significantly nicer than my duct tape mobile and the threat of break ins worries me. I'd prefer a spot to car camp but I'm open to suggestion otherwise.
Thanks again, Dylan

Hancock Campground on the Kanc is open in winter and is close to many of the Pemi mountains, as well as the TriPs from the Kanc side.

Lafayette Campground on 93 in Frnaconia Notch is free in the winter and is ideal for Franconia, Cannon, Kinsmans.

I'd personally prefer Hancock but Lafayette is still free in winter as far as I know.

Enjoy the venison.

Hikers Paradise in Gorham is a option $, its definitely low rent. There is also a hostel in North Conway$. It really depends on what peaks you want to hike. Folks do car camp at Appalachia, its state property so the FS usually dont hassle anyone. Lots of traffic noise and snowmachine noise.

White Birches campground$ in Shelburne has some winter camping spaces and has one heated bathroom shower complex.

Lafayette Campground on 93 in Frnaconia Notch is free in the winter and is ideal for Franconia, Cannon, Kinsmans.

I'd personally prefer Hancock but Lafayette is still free in winter as far as I know.
The postings say you are to pay a high fee ($20?) but you have to walk in from the parking lot, you can get walk-in camping free other places

Barnes Field in Pinkham Notch and Crawford Notch state CG may also be open with fee

Thank you all!!

Thank you all so much. Looks like we're going with Hancock, as being able to drive to a site is ideal for this situation. You forum people rock, I wouldn't be able to plan half the trips I make without the help of good people willing to take a few minutes to answer questions like these!