Winter paddling gloves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I continue to struggle to find a cold water/cold air paddling glove or mitt for fall thru spring kayaking. Using a Greenland paddle, pogies would not work.

First, I have tried a number of NSR neoprene gloves and mits. These are not waterproof but in theory warm up the water between your skin and hand. Usually my hands get cold when air temps get below 35 degrees.

Next, I tried a dry glove with gasket . .the Nordic Blues. With a wool liner, they did the job of keeping me warm. However, I am tired of wrestling with the latex wrist gaskets and they are too darn bulky as well.

Anyone happy with their gloves or mitts?

I had those. The wrist enclosure was so tight that my hadns went numb! I also placed them on top of food cans to stretch them without luck. They were definitely toasty and putting on the sprayskirt was doable.

If I reorder them in a large, i'll solve the wrist cuff tightness but then have to much room around my fingers.

Last year I tried all sorts of combinations with various levels of success.
This year I am going to try using my hiking gear, like Gore-tex overmitts, with some "waterproof " gloves or mitts underneath.

Right now at this time of year the water has been warmer than the air at least on the Lakes and ponds around here so I have been foregoing any gloves and dip my hands in the water as I paddle to warm them up...of course that won't do the trick in a little while.

If your using a Greenland paddle, it begs the question...what do the Greenlanders do?