Winter Shell Combo (Hybrid/Paclite)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wromanow

Reaction score
With all the recent threads a re-evaluation of my winter gear is in-order. Specifically, I am writing to ask your opinion on my winter shell combo. I am a three season backpacker, with limited four season experience. All of the backpacking done to this point is (and will be) below tree line.

I do have a question on my shells. I snowshoe in a North Face Caber, which is a hybrid jacket. The Caber has 3-layer laminate on most of the jacket except the armpits, which are soft-shell (water-resistant) and allow some nice venting. I carry a EMS Paclite shell to add in case of wet snow. Finally, I also carry down jacket for insulation while in camp.

Do you think this combination of the hybrid and the Paclite is sufficient in case of wet winter conditions? Or is a bombproof 3-Layer Gore-Tex XCR shell preferred?

Is the EMS Paclite shell made of Gore-Tex PacLite ? I'm assuming so when I say I think you'd be fine. I've been very happy with a Lowe Alpine Gore-Tex PacLite shell for the past few years. The XCR is now used in alot of the higher priced technical jackets and is supposed to be a bit more water-proof, but the PacLite is supposed to be a bit more breathable, from what I can gather. That NF Hybrid looks like a good jacket too, but you may not need to carry it also.