Women's snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
I've been waiting for a sale to buy new snowshoes. For the past few years I've been using the MSR Lignthing and like them, but mine are the men's model. I think the women's would be better for me. EMS has a sale now 20% off all snowshoes except MSR.:(
So I could get these. Tubbs Mountaineer
Does anyone have these and like them? Any others you recommend? Should I just pay full price for the MSR? Thanks.

I picked up a new pair of Tubbs Sojourn 21 snowshoes at a tag sale. My wife and niece used them this weekend. There was an issue with the bindings but it's clear from the pics that the Mountaineer's binding is a better/more engineered design that would correct the issue with the Sojourn. The rest of the shoe looks similar and worked well. The Mountaineer's crampons look more aggressive, certainly.

If it helps: I just PM'd you an EMS coupon code that's good for $25 off $75 or more through January.

Edit: The current incarnation of the Sojourn is the Tubbs XPlore. The XPlore have the same binding as the Sojourn and are entry level. I could explain the issue, but it's easier to just say: Avoid the Xplore.

Last edited:
I have a brand new pair of last year's women's Lightning Ascents (25") that I'd sell you cheap...

...but the only difference between the men's and women's is the color and the size. What makes you think "the women's would be better"?

I don't know much about the Tubbs Mountaineers, but if you go with MSR snowshoes I'd recommend the Denali Evo Ascent model over the Lightnings. Even though they are a bit heavier, I've found them to be considerably more durable - 2.5 seasons on my current pair, vs. half a season on the Lightnings before the crampon split in two. The option to add tails in deep snow also makes a HUGE difference.

The EMS website doesn't show them on sale, but they did give me the 20% discount on a pair last week in the Nashua store.

Of course, if JF is willing to sell you a pair of Lightnings super cheap... ;)

I had the Tubbs Mountaineers for about a week before the binding broke. I found the crampon to be very aggressive which made sliding on them impossible which might have also been the reason for the binding failure from too much pressure....just guessing on that.

I have to agree with Lriz on the Evo's....although I do only manage to get a season out of them before soemthing fails....MSR though has always been great about fixing them. I had the Lightening Accesnts for less than a season before they broke and they also shredded the bottom on my snowpants and gaitors.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!!!

-MEB

they also shredded the bottom on my snowpants and gaitors.

Meb - are you using the men's or womens Ascents? I have had the same issue when using the wider men's version including tripping as I am sure you remember from our Bonds traverse last Winter, but since I started using the women's narrower version I have had no issues.

Meb - are you using the men's or womens Ascents? I have had the same issue when using the wider men's version including tripping as I am sure you remember from our Bonds traverse last Winter, but since I started using the women's narrower version I have had no issues.
Are you saying there is a Women's EVO Ascent, and a Men's ???

Or a Lightning?

I have the womens version of all that I mentioned....maybe that is where the problem lies....I believe there are men's for all of these.

How can I forget the Bonds! I have days like that all the time...beginning to wonder if I just need a lesson in how to walk again:)

-MEB

Thanks! I had my doubts about the Tubbs and from what you've shared (LRiz and MEB) I think MSR is the way to go. Both of you are lucky enough to get out there way more than I do these days, but I'm going to check out the Evo's as opposed to the Lightnings for longevity.
My men's lightening are too wide for me and I'm forever tripping up on them. (Not that I am the most graceful hiker regardless.:p) Glad to hear that getting the women's version fixed that for you Geri.
I'm on the smaller side so I was looking at the 21" model (thanks ferrisjrf).
Chip, thanks again for the coupon code. I think I'll use it!

I've been using the women's Tubbs Mountaineer snowshoe for several years now. No problems with them. They are easy as far as getting them on and off in extreme cold weather, good flotation, have the aggessive crampon for gripping the ice and televator - which I think is a big plus. I've had 2 other sets of snowshoes over the years and these have outperformed them both.

Donna:)

Tubbs Flex ALP!!!

They rock! Try them. :) I highly recommend them. They are super easy to take on and off. The crampon is very aggressive. I've done a zillion hikes and bushwhacks w/ them w/o any failure of any kind. Not sure where they would fail!! They are light weight. The women's blue (22") is waaaaaaaaaay cooler than the men's orange (24")
:)

Any question? Feel free to ask me.

I've been using the women's Tubbs Mountaineer snowshoe for several years now. No problems with them. They are easy as far as getting them on and off in extreme cold weather, good flotation, have the aggessive crampon for gripping the ice and televator - which I think is a big plus. I've had 2 other sets of snowshoes over the years and these have outperformed them both.

Donna:)

Just as I thought I had my mind made up...
I had Tubbs before my MSRs. (They did eventually break, but after many seasons.) An occasional problem I had was the straps freezing. I was just checking specs and these are the same width as the men's MSRs. However these are tapered, which should help.

televators on the Tubbs Flex ALPS

oh yeah.......the Tubbs Flex ALPS (why the long name??? and what the heck is ALPS for???)......well anyway......they have televators. I'm not a fan of them, but just thought I'd mention it for those interested. Mine had to be adjusted to make them easy to operate. But now I'm just going to take them off ---- gotta save an ounce when you can.......or when you'd rather carry something useful ....like say c h o c o l a t e!!!! :D

They rock! Try them. :) I highly recommend them. They are super easy to take on and off. The crampon is very aggressive. I've done a zillion hikes and bushwhacks w/ them w/o any failure of any kind. Not sure where they would fail!! They are light weight. The women's blue (22") is waaaaaaaaaay cooler than the men's orange (24")
:)

Any question? Feel free to ask me.

Seems they won the backpacker Gear of the Year award in 2010...