Wounded Pride on Wolf 4-26-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
After attending the FTFC awards ceremony yesterday, I thought I should try to show that I still know how to hike, by heading out today, with my hiking friend, Hufflepuff. The weather was warm and sunny as I left home, early enough, I thought. Headed up the Kinsman Ridge Trail at 8:30, prepared with all kinds of clothes and gear I never thought I would need. Within 5 minutes the clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped by 15 degrees, and it started to rain. No problem. I just pulled out the pack cover and rain coat, and headed up hill, and then down, and then up and down again. The trail was very WET, snow appeared after less than 1 mile, and it was slippery. I think I changed in and out of snow shoes at least 6 times. There are stretches of trail where my pole sank at least 2 feet down. We decided that we would keep on going until 1 pm, and that would be the ultimate turn around time.

When the magical hour struck, we could see our ultimate goal ahead and finally out of the clouds, but at least 45 minutes of hard work away. So, dirty, wet, cold, and disappointed we headed back down the trail. It was the right decision. There was just too much snow to make any kind of good time, and Mt. Wolf will still be there waiting for us in another few weeks when the snow is gone. A good lesson about trying to get a jump on the season. The Kinsman Ridge Trail kicked my butt today! :eek:

Jabberwalk

Oh bummer....it sucks to turn around, especially with a summit in sight...we've all been there.

We ended up hiking Sandwich Dome today, via Noon and Jennings. We got a late start (cough...12:30!)...but we were a bit concerned at the changes in the sky as we drove up!!! Trail conditions are REALLY tough right now!!! I carried my snowshoes the whole way.:eek:

Good to see you at the FTFC dinner, and big Congrats to you on finishing all those peaks. I don't know if I will ever get over to NY to tackle some of those fine peaks - too many wonderful challenges right here in NH in all seasons.

It wasn't really too hard to turn around. Just a good lesson about recognizing limits, and how tricky Mother Nature can be!

Happy trails!