Wright ski trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
Anyone been on the Wright ski trail recently ? I'm thinking of heading up within the next week with my son and spend a day at Whiteface and then possibly the Wright ski trail the next day. I would skin on tele gear and my son would snowshoe and carry his board. Any comments on conditions on the ski trail are welcome.

Do most snowshoers head up the hiking trail or the ski trail ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Six of us snowshoed it on Sunday. We also met 7 skiers. The last skier said it would take him probably 15 minutes to ski out!

Most hikers go via the usual trail. On the weekends expect plenty of skiers on the ski trail, but your son will have a great time riding it. I've hiked it a few times (it is one of the nicest winter trails, and often the only way to climb Wright when the winds start howling) and seen skiers and riders. Both do well.

I've been up there twice since the storm and it's been great skiing each time. I'd suggest going up the ski trail - as a skier, I never mind it at all when snowshoers do that, it packs out a nice track to skin up. Anyway, the reasons for going up the ski trail are:

1) You can avoid any potentially nasty weather on the summit,
2) You get to see exactly what you'll be coming down
3) If it's too much to go all the way to the top, you can turn around at any point and head down, and finally,
4) Even if you're familiar with it, it's not the easiest thing in the world to find the start of the ski trail from the summit if you didn't come up that way.

If it's a nice day, you can always summit from the ski trail, although that last little chute is a bear to climb up.

Enjoy it - I've seen a few riders on it this year, I bet it's a blast on a snowboard.

Tempting!

hey teleskier!
Maybe to celebrate my 50 we'll get together for another ski/board trip?!
Or are you thinking we could go sooner? :)
Glad to hear you're enjoying the snow.
We saw lots of skiers coming out that route last Saturday!