Yosemite In June . . .

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
After many, many years of resisting, I finally have caved in to Mrs. Grumpy’s demand that we visit the Left Coast at least one more time before . . .. Let’s not think about that! The upshot is that we will sponge off friends near San Francisco in mid June this year. Being good friends, those kind folks have vowed to drag us up into the Yosemite area for a few days. Some day hiking is in prospect.

So time has come to tap the collective wisdom of the VFTT gang.

What kind of weather should we prep for in Yosemite during mid June? Temps? Precip? Etc.?

Bugs? Other critters?

What are trails like out there, compared to, say the Long Trail in VT, or trails in the High Peaks of the NY Adirondacks?

Any wierd rules, regs, customs, protocols, traditions, rites, etc., that we ought to now about?

Thanks for any info and advice that comes along.

G. :D

yosemite

I love Yosemite. In June the valley will be awsome, the snowpack is very high in the Sierras this year and that means the waterfalls in the park will be extaordinary for your viewing. I would reccomend going route 120 through Touolome (sp) meadows as well, although giving snowpack conditions sometimes the road opens late, I believe you might be ok. If you do take that route when you arrive at the Tioga check in station on the westerm side of Toulomee meadows, looking north from the gate you will see MT. Dana, at 13,004ft this is a great hike, although proper acclimization is required as oyu will be coming from Frisco I think you stated, anywho, I also reccomend MT. Hoffman at just over 10,0000ft this would be an easier climb and is the goegraphic center of Yosemite National park and the views from the summitt are fantastic (although there are towers that you must ignore.). Dont miss the Seqoia groves either, those trees are inspirering to say the least. John Miur once climbed to the top of a Seqioia(sp) during a storm and hung on as the tree swayed back and forth to "feel" whta the trees experienced.
Anyway Im no expert on Yosemite but I love the places Ive seen there, have fun.
P.S> make sure if your in San Fran you go to fishermans wharf and feast on Dungenous crabs and beer. :eek: Also go up Coit tower, the views of the city are the best from there.

Yosemit

Grump,

We were there in early August and didn't see a bug day or nite and we spent a week of our 2 week hiking trip in Yosemite. I can't wait to return and am envious.
By intent, we spent only a few hours in the Valley. Even midweek, we found the Valley jammed with tourists, joustling for good photo spots.
We spent 6 1/2 days up in Tuolomne Meadows, car camping and dayhiked out of there. It allowed us to acclimitize to elevation by sleeping higher and we were much closer to what we felt were better hiking opportunities.
Our first afternoon, we took did a short bushwack up to one of the numerous rock domes. During our stay, we climbed Tioga Peak (11,513'), Mt Dana (13,053'), Gaylord Pk (11,000'), and others. Mt Dana is a 6 mile, 3,200' ascent and not to be missed. The Algonguin of Yosemite NP and we had it to ourselves midweek.
While you're there, it is well worth the drive thru Tioga Pass down out of the Park to spend a few hours exploring Mono Lake with. A huge, inland salt lake with interesting bird life and salt towers.
You'll certainly need to watch the snow pack. Tuolumne and Tioga Pass are fairly high, perhaps the roads will be melted out. It just might not be a bad idea to throw some crampons and ice axes in your duffle, depening how much hiking you want to do.
I'm not sure what your itinerary allows, but in our 2nd week we spent a couple of days in the White Mts exploring the Bristlecones, an experience that was mystical. We also climbed White Mt Peak (14,246'), considered the highest desert peak in the world. Our trip concluded with a backpack up Mt Whitney.
If the weather repeats itself, we not only didn't get a drop of rain, but hardly saw a cloud in 2 weeks.

Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you would like some additional information on our trip or any of these hikes we did.

Alan

Last edited:
I'd like to add that the water falls tend to peak in April, but the high country will be snowed in then. The hike from the Valley to Vernal and Nevada falls is a (relatively easy) classic and if you are feeling strong, you can also do Half Dome (if the cables are up).

Agree with the others--see the Valley (crowded), but also see other parts of the park.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

Doug

While daydreaming about Yosemite, I completely forgots about the Sequoias.
They were awesome!
Sure hope you can see Mono Lake and get thru the high country.

Grumpy

I have said before on this forum your brilliance, balance, and wisdom have been a great source of inspiration to me and have been appreciated by all. How far we see ahead has much to do with how far we have traveled and yet still we have no reason to look back. I am glad Mrs. Grumpy suggestions are well he(a)rd, lest the years and the journey leave us tone deaf to the music of our dreams and desires of our love == your wife knows.

Yosemite no worries, no bugs, rangers, regs, some bear, the temps are mild and the scenery wild.

The Half Dome hike is the quintessential sierra hike don’t miss it(cable up or down), The hike down from glacier point is a classic downhill hike from a bus (I always cry looking at the view from Glacier Point), the hike up YO Falls is amazing (fifth highest in the world?), the Sequoias. also brings me to tears, how could anything have lived this long.
All may be very conventional, but are certainly worth doing.

The Valley is crazy but in one hour you are in the wilderness. Don’t hesitate to stay in the luxury of curry with the Mrs. (the pool will be cold) The valley with its dinning and nightlight life are perfect to stage day and over night trips form.
PM me if you want beta, I have a long history in this valley
Michael

We were in Yosemite over Memorial Day last year. Here's our pictures/trip notes if you are interested:

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/yosemite_2004

A little earlier than when you will be there, but the weather was fantastic when we were there. The bugs weren't so great though -- a lot of mosquitoes in areas (especially Tenaya Lake). I find the hiking out west easier than here as the trails are typically switchbacked and graded easier. If you're used to hiking in the NE, no worries for hiking out there.

We did some backpacking in the valley and attempted to do some around Tuolemne Meadows, but aborted after one night due to snow conditions (the snow itself wasn't bad, we just weren't equipped to navigate when we couldn't see the trail). We also visited Mono Lake, which I would highly recommend. If you like ghost towns, Bodie is a good stop as well.

Have fun!

Yosemite..

We were there in Sept last year on a rock climbing trip. The hi-light was the hike out to Half Dome, going past Vernal & Nevada Falls was breathtaking!
We rock climbed up Half Dome and it was incredible. The cables to hike up it are very steep, and you should have grippy gloves if you do the climb. We used gloves on the decent down them and was glad we were prepared with them. The views from the top are beyond beautifull! at least go to the falls!

I agree with a must visit to Tuolumne and Tioga Pass, we had snow and 20 degree weather in Sept but it was so incredible scenery and not so busy as the Valley was.
Bears were everywhere, so pay attention to the procedures of taking care of all food and scented items! Watch out for those squirrels too, they are very quick to eat through a pack for food!

Enjoy!

Grumpy, if you have never been to Yosemite, you will soon understand why "it is no contest" (in reference to an old thread on east vs west mts).
Anyway, you will find lots of snow left in the high country and any river crossings will be "interesting". One June we had to completely alter our plans because of high water in the vicinity of Tenaya Lake.

Contrary to what has been posted, there are bugs out there. In June there can be lots of skeeters, but no black flies. I don't think they have any. By east coast standards, the "bug problem" is almost inconsequential.

The trails...well let's just say that if trails were highways, the Adk trails would be secondary roads, and most Yosemite trails would be Interstates.

The Weather should be excellent, but the proverbial afternoon thunderstorm is a common occurrence. Nightime temps in the higher country can drop below freezing.

As others have said, spend a minimum time in Yosemite Valley, where 90% of the visitors are in 10% of the park.

Hope this helps.

Hi Grumpy,
I agree with Maineguy....there are skeeters in them thar hills....and lots of them, but it's a small annoyance compared to what the area has to offer.
Yes, stay away from the crowds! If you hike to Vernal Falls, very few will follow you much further.
and I hope the cables are up to do Half Dome. It's a steep hike up the backside of the dome and you will have some day hikers (they'll be seasoned DHer's as the casual ones won't attempt it) but the views from the top are incredible. At the top, there is a slab "couch" near the face, stay on it for a while to see if any rock climbers come over the edge.
You should expect to see snow in Yosemite in June around the outskirts of the park and especially this year due to the accumulation they've been getting. Consider staying at Little Yosemite as an alternative to the big crowds.
Tuolomne (SP?) meadows was incredible, but we did have problems at Tioga due to the snow melt and had to hike through chest high water with packs over our heads. Just a heads-up in case the melt is high this year.
You might need a pass to hike on some of the trails or to camp in certain area's so here's a link I found to help you out.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/permits.htm
Good luck.....I'm jealous!
Bill (Pucknuts61)

We've been to Yosemite twice, both times in September.

We chose September because it's dry and crystal clear, and we didn't see a cloud in Yosemite for a straight week both times. No bugs, and the streams and waterfalls are all dried up, for easy, no problem hiking.

In June it will be warmer, and the waterfalls and flowers wil be prettier. Watchouts are the stream crossings, which there are warnings about, and the mosquitoes, which I have heard are out in May-June.

I agree with the earlier recommendation of Hoffman. Also, if you want to go higher, Dana is an easy "bushwack" (no bushes, though; it's all open). Cloud's Rest is also highly recommended. These hikes are all from the Tioga road (120). The valley is beautiful, too, but MUCH more crowded with tourists; and the hikes out of the valley, while beautiful, tend to start with 2000 vertical feet of switchbacks.

Have fun! You'll want to go back.

TCD

I am so jealous

Can't wait till the Weatherman family decides to take me back. I spent 4 days there while single and wanted to stay forever. Do heed the stream crossing warnings though, my wife and I spent our only unplanned night out not far north of there on the summer solstice because of deep snow and deeper stream crossings (but we're still married) :)
If you stay in the Valley and don't mind a good climb, I'd highly recommend the trail to Yosemite Falls (get a very early start to avoid the hordes) or Glacier Point/Sentinel Dome (not as crowded because it's pretty long). I skipped Half Dome as the cables were not up yet (Mem day). They should be in place by the time you go.

Thanks!

Just want to express (a belated) appreciation for all those who responded here with advice. Mrs. G. and I are looking forward to the trip.

We will be staying three nights in one of those "tent cabins" at Curry Campground. Our San Francisco hosts have made this arrangement. The info I have says smething like "linens provided." Does anyone have a line on what (if any) bedding we should take, etc.?

G.

(Keep this post hidden from Mrs. G) :)

I don't have a line on the linens, but I've heard that vermin (mice, etc.) can be a watchout in the tent cabins. Make sure it's clean when you arrive, and secure all food, toothpaste, etc., in the bear locker.

Have a great trip!

Don't know about the linens. We tented at Camp 4 and at Lower Pines, which was less crowded than Curry Village. We did shower at Curry Village, which was only a couple bucks and they provide a towel. The breakfast buffet at Curry was excellent!

Enjoy!

I am soooo jealous. I went once several years ago for almost two weeks in July. It was incredible, I was in awe of the natural beauty every day.

We stayed mainly in a tent cabin in Tuolume Meadows, but had one night each at Glen Aulin and Vogelsang. The linens provided were sheets, pillow, and a wool blanket. I slept in two layers of clothing, with a hat on, used their blanket, and a fleece sleeping bag liner that I'd brought. The food was very good, but hiking all day every day provides a spice of its own as well.

At Glen Aulin we woke to fresh bear tracks going through the camp. Vogelsang was... incredible... No words can describe - I ran for a mile or two that the evening - I saw navy blue sky with the moon coming up over a mountain east of Vogelsang (Florence? Fletcher?) with the sky gradually shading to orange and salmon and the setting sun behind Vogelsang highlighting Half Dome in the valley.

Don't miss the sequoias. It's impossible to understand the scale until you actually see them. You can look waaaayyy up, see a tiny tree limb, and once you see a fallen tree, you realize that the tiny tree limb is larger than most of the trees in New England.

Although I would've liked to have seen some of the more touristy locations in the Valley, being in the high country was great. Sure, we missed some of the most famous features, but we were never stuck in traffic or in crowds.

The whole thing was amazing.

About the bear boxes and food - don't forget that bears consider a lot more than food than we do. Anything and everything from medication to lip balm to cosmetics should go in the boxes along with the food. Also anything being stored in containers that once held food.

If I were to go again, I would bring something to use as a lantern in the tent.

I packed a cheap 6 LED headlamp with a home made coat hanger wire and aluminum foil reflector. Made a great tent lantern.