you bring beers hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel that as long as you do not bother someone else, put someone or yourself in harms way then there is nothing wrong with having a beer on the trail. I have had beers and wine on the trail to go along with a meal or just to sip while enjoying the view.

Now would anyone else be nervous if they saw Pete with ax and a growler? just wondering :confused:

SherpaKroto. Now your talking my language. ;) A little hot chocalate with a resonable amount of rum. A real pick me up on those real cold camping nights. Usually before bed, while looking out the tent while the snow slowly drifts down. :D

Keith

We had an annual party (in an unamed location :rolleyes: ) where evreyone brought decorations and a mini keg were mandatory.Of course everyone always brought backups because that was never enough :p . We never had any problems unti the 9th year when we received a letter from the powers to be to cease and decist our celebration.

Mike D. said:
We had an annual party (in an unamed location :rolleyes: ) where evreyone brought decorations and a mini keg were mandatory.Of course everyone always brought backups because that was never enough :p . We never had any problems unti the 9th year when we received a letter from the powers to be to cease and decist our celebration.

That's too bad, sounds like a good time to me. I think I saw you guys on a Coors commercial.
:D

It was an extremely good time for all. We always left the shelter cleaner than when we arrived and most times anyone who ventered in joined us and also had a good time. For 9 years the local caretakers enjoyed our company and joined in the festivities. Of course as it always goes, the people on top got wind and decided we were a threat and made some pretty ridiculous excuses to make us stop. Anyway got kinda off track there sorry :rolleyes: I was just commenting that we carryed mini kegs up a mountain, heavy but worthwhile in the end.

I don't bring alcoholic beverages on a day hike but wouldn't backpack without a nice red wine for dinner. If there are enough of us someone will carry a box of wine ... yep a box .. well, any wine is a nice wine when you're in the camp/cabin setting.

Rumplemintz....

... 100 proof; at days end of course.

A friend and I used to carry a trophy beer everywhere we hiked. These beers (a bud and a Genny Cream ale) saw the tops of about thirty peaks.

One day we saw a guy pull out a Keystone light on top of some Mountain. We were saying to ourselves "if your gonna bring a beer up here, why the hell would you bring a Keysotne". It only took a minute to remember that we had lugged a Bud and a Genny up that were not even going to be consumed.

We once placed a bottle of Dewars in a Time Capsule on top of Lower Wolfjaw Mt. It was in a metal canister with some cigarettes and some other accoutrement' . We went back 4 years later and retrieved the goods and had a good time at the WJ's Lean-to; ......Rather juvenile, I know, but I kind of want to do it again.

Mike

Last edited:
I almost forgot. We backpacked a wine bottle up to the top of the Zugspitze. My friend heard it was easier to get a buzz at altitude (a little shy of 10,000ft) and he wanted to try the theory out. We crawled across the knife edge to the peak and all of us took a mouthful out of the bottle. I remember catching a buzz from just that little bit. It was pretty funny. We all experienced the same buzz at about the same time. Unfortunetly, it was as we were all crawling back across the knife edge. Well, anything for science :D. I still have that picture of all of us at the base of the cross with one of us holding the empty bottle. Actually destined to become one of my favorite pictures though I didn't know it at the time.

Keith

I'll have a beer or two when hiking with Harryk. Sometimes when there's a "finish" hike I'll have a beer. These are generally summit beers and it's generally Harryk doing the bringing. Before hanging with the VFTT crowd it never really occured to me to bring beer.

When I backpack I'll bring along whisky on the occasion or, er, other stuff.

Movie: The Eiger Sanction
Scene: Bowman(George Kennedy) and Hemlock(Clint Eastwood) have just climbed Totem Pole in Monument Valley

BOWMAN: Want a beer?

HEMLOCK: You gonna call room service?

BOWMAN: We got beer.

HEMLOCK: If you hauled beer up this rock, you're insane.

BOWMAN: I may be insane, but I'm not stupid. I didn't carry it, you did. It's in your pack.(Pulls a six-pack of Olympia beer out of Hemlock's backpack.)

HEMLOCK: Jesus Christ, I ought to throw you off this pillar. Besides, it's warm.

BOWMAN: I'm sorry, I thought you'd draw the line at hauling ice.

Whiskey has made its way from my training table, to my gear closet and now into my first aid kit.
Fire starter, pain killer, meat marinade, wound cauterizer, ice melterer, truly a gift from the gods.

i think my worst winter backpacking experience was the time we were making our way into marcy dam, when removing my frame pack, my two liter wine sack totally filled for the weekend slipped off my frame, hit the hardpacked trail, and exploded like a water balloon. man did i cry!