zealand mt route questions and hike.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X-C ski or ski-jour to Zealand Hut

If you x-c ski or ski-jour with your dog, the way to get Zealand (and Hale) is via the Sugarloaf Road, IMHO (my friend Walter once got pulled into Zool hut from Rt. 302 in about 45 minutes by his yellow lab Reggie; anyone who can stand up on x-c skis can get out from the hut in less than an hour). Tally: 6.2 miles to hut; 2.8 miles to Mt. Zealand; 2.7 miles to Hale via Lend-a-Hand Trail), times 2 = easy 23.4 miles, as over half of the distance is on skis. This route is the way that I plan to get both peaks some time in the next few days, if anyone is interested in joining me.

I also fully endorse Kevin Rooney's point-to-point suggestion, which adds the three Bonds to Zealand for the same mileage; you can add Hale for an additional couple of miles and about two thousand extra verts of elevation gain. Earlier this winter, Cath Goodwin and I did a slight variation of Kevin's route by beginning with Galehead via the Gale River Trail, then catching both Twins (out and back to North Twin), before exiting via the three Bonds to Lincoln Woods on the Kanc (entire route took us about 11 hours, I believe).