Zealand via Zeacliff Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making an ascent of the Zeacliff Trail this weekend. I've never hiked it before so I don't know how steep it is or how much winter might have encroached on it yet. Does anyone have any recent information on this trail regarding snow/ice/running water?
-vegematic

The Zeacliff Tr is steep and relentless. I was just on it on Oct 6th. I don't think there would be much snow or ice yet but the blanket of leaves on the ground made for some interesting footing. As noted above ther is one LARGE step, abouit 4-5 feet high, that you will have to climb. Probably easier to ascend than to descend.

Not a problem for someone of your capabilities. The biggest issue is finding the exit down off the trail from the boulder field that you encounter just after you leave the AT. The trail was poorly marked in the rocks earlier this year and as the boulder field looks like its gets a lot of use, its hard to follow the multiple paths. Basically if in doubt head back NNW (back the way you came) through the boulders keeping an eye on the left edge of the clearing until you see a distinct downhill route. As mentioned there are one or two ledges that require some thinking but they are not an issue for most. The trail does go through an area that lost its canopy and the undergrowth is pushing in from the sides, so make sure you don't have any loose stuff hanging out of your pack or it might get snagged.

Piece o' cake.

Thanks for the information folks, it was spot on. The trail was about as dry and ice-free as I could have hoped, especially with today's balmy temperatures. The write-up in the AMC guide had me thinking this was a dicey route but, in fact, it's just another White Mountains trail right up the fall line. The birch woods on the ridge were lovely.