Winter Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
373 Bailey Hill Road
Proctorsville, VT 05153
"White Theme" White house, White truck, White car, HUGE White propane tank surrounded by a lot of smaller White propane tanks

And Hopefully your place will be Camoflagued by lots of WHITE SNOW! :D

SK I'm not sure where you live but when UFC and I drove back from Pat and Audrey's potluck we took Rt 2 all the way to I91 and it took about 2-2.25 hours. I'm finding that route alot better than the one I usually take from VT down to the Greater Boston area (Rt 4-> I89->I93->Rt 3); even though Mapquest/Google Maps calls I89 the better way to go.

FWIW...... :D

So, coming to this requires sleeping outside in a tent in winter--correct? (Yes, I am a whimp! :eek: ) Are there lodging options fairly close by?

Seeker said:
So, coming to this requires sleeping outside in a tent in winter--correct? (Yes, I am a whimp! :eek: ) Are there lodging options fairly close by?
If the current weather continues, your 3-season gear will be more than adequate... :(

Besides, IMO, camping on snow is better than without.

Doug

Seeker said:
Are there lodging options fairly close by?

UFC's place is moments from Ludlow, VT and the Okemo ski area. There are lodging options galore there.

Seeker said:
There are a lot of "pay" options close by but I did offer my house to anyone that wants to crash inside and from what I can tell there is still plenty of room. Like I said before, it's nothing fancy so you should bring a sleeping bag and thermarest.

I hate to sound like a 'mom', but should we discuss food? Or are we all going to bring brownies?! ;) Don't laugh, I went to a potluck once and EVERYONE brought dessert, it was very funny, and fattening. :)
I think I will make a butternut squash soup, something to warm everyone up after a (hopefully) cold day out and about.
Since I have ZERO musical talent I volunteer to help out in the kitchen. :rolleyes: As long as I can still HEAR the music!
I am getting very excited for my first VT 4ks!
Thanks for getting this all together and allowing us to take over your home Mr. Unfrozencaveman.

Potluck food

It's become sort of a tradition to eat out on Friday night - is that what people would like to do, and is there a place nearby that can accommodate a small crowd.

As for cooking...UFC, what are the cooking facilities? Should we bring our Coleman stove or can we plug in a crockpot? We thought we'd bring turkey meatballs and sausages. We can also cook pasta to go with the meat and sauce.

We'll also bring along a baked spiral ham, cheese, rolls, and other sandwich fixings which will be good for picking at and making sandwiches during the weekend.

Maybe a pan of banana nut bread too.

chinooktrail said:
.....should we discuss food? Or are we all going to bring brownies?! ;)
You should bring a 55 gallon drum of the butternut squash soup - the rest of us will take care of the brownies!

Actually, I hadn't really thought too much about it but it probably would be a good idea to make sure we have both "food courses" covered. As for the kitchen, there is a gas stove available and I have a second set of 3 gas burners that can be used outside as well. Also, plenty of outlets (and counterspace) will be available for hotplates, crock pots, etc.

Do people want to shout out what they were planning on bringing so that we have an idea?

chinooktrail said:
I volunteer to help out in the kitchen. :rolleyes: As long as I can still HEAR the music!
Oh, don't worry, you'll be able to hear the music just fine! :eek:

The Bluffs had our last practice yesterday (Saturday), and we're ready to rock & roll. And, of course, to climb a hill or two! :cool:

"You say the hill's too steep to climb. Climb it!"

See y'all on Saturday (but I'll be there Friday evening, too, in my typical "going to Gathering clothes. :eek:

Potluck Supper

I plan on bringing a brochly salad, which may result in some of us losing limbs in the Porta Poties..

Ugghhh.

Things are starting to look bad for me making it. Even if I do it'll be without guitar. I just lost the tip of my finger in a roast beef accident. Not too bad, but no way I can hold a string down..... Hmmmmm open tunings.....

OK, I may REALLY regret this, but I volunteer kitchen duty for tunes.

There, I did it. :)

I am not saying anything will be ediable, just hot, flaming is hot enough right?! :eek:

Don't worry, it takes a really long time for soup to catch on fire, believe me, I know. :rolleyes:

I will bring the trusty old Coleman and the 'flame that keeps other backpackers awake' stove just in case... :rolleyes:

When a girl needs hot cocoa, a girl needs HOT COCOA! ( and Bailey's)

:rolleyes:

Me Too!

Okay Chinooktrail - I'll be right there with you! Nothing wrong with girls in the kitchen..... :D

I'm a pretty good cook - nothing like the flavor master Unfrozencaveman - but I can keep a group fed.

We'll talk - along with anyone else interested.

Hanna

I just found out that I have a three-day weekend so I'm thinking of joining in the festivities. Trying to figure out plans for skiing right now, assuming there is frozen water of some sort to be found. I'll probably camp in the yard unless there are torrential downpours again.

Considering the forecast, maybe a room at a nearby hotel isn't that bad an idea. :)

-dave-

Thanks UFCM for the kind offer. Looks like me and my sweetie will be there! Not sure yet about whether we'll stay in your floor or in a motel.

As for food, I'll get back to you. We will have many good beers and wine to share.

What hikes are planned?....Anyone hiking Abraham only?...my book said it was app 5-6 miles and 1600 ft elevation....i'm 2-3 weeks post knee scope and i might try that but really take my time and make it a full day...depending on weather...

Will this be the 3rd rainny winter gathering in a row?...

Who can guess?

This is the wierdest weather! I am tempted to take the motorcycle for a ride just to say I did in January. Hopefully no rain for the weekend. I don't mind snow camping but rain can be a downer for a bonfire. Spencer and I plan on arriving Friday night if all goes as planned. As for food Spencer hasn't made up his mind yet. For dessert chocolate triffle -everyone seemed to enjoy it in the past and since the bowl was always licked clean I don't have to worry about clean up :)

What is happening Friday night, are we going out someplace local? If so do we know where yet. Since Spencer and I will be leaving after work we might have go meet you ther depending on what time you decided to meet.

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
I just found out that I have a three-day weekend so I'm thinking of joining in the festivities. Trying to figure out plans for skiing right now, assuming there is frozen water of some sort to be found.
Looks like the best weather may be Thurs and Fri.

I'm thinking of skiing at Ascutney on Thurs ($29 Tele :) ) or Friday (regular weekday price :( ). I expect to be helping Hillwalker with some trail maintenance on the other of the two days and then show up at the gathering Fri evening (detailed planning TBD). I'd be happy to join up with others, if I can figure out which day I will be going.

Doug

I can't get there until Friday night, or Saturday day at this point. It'll depend on work and weather. I'd rather ski, and I have a few free tickets, but I'm finding it hard to get psyched at this point. :(

-dave-