Elvios Lincoln's Mt Redington Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
Elvios Lincoln’s Maine Adventure: August 3rd 2007

Expansion of topic in my Rangeley Stratton Post.

3. Notes on a Mt Redington Bushwhack from South Crocker:

August 3rd was the last day of my 4 day section hike between Rangeley and Stratton. I stayed at the Crocker Cirque tent site the night before. This is a nice campsite camp-site set in an area of birch, striped maple and other hardwoods. There is a good water supply, some open sky, and a decent privy. I knew that thunderstorms were due in the afternoon so I got an early start from the campsite. I was on South Crocker at about 7:30AM. I transferred some emergency items from my heavy back-pack to a fanny pack and set off for Redington per directions I had found via the VFTT website.

I took the best herd path off the summit which started left and quickly jogged sharp right. The herd path immediately crossed a cut boundary line about 4 feet wide. I suppose this was the AT right of way border. The herd path could be followed with care. There were occasional faded orange ribbons, that I found very useful. I probably would have bailed without them. I was hiking alone and did not want to be stuck in the deep when the thunderstorms hit. The herd path continued to drop elevation until it hit a large clear-cut. The herd path broke into the clearing near its left edge, as I faced it. I noted an orange ribbon marking the herd path, as I looked back at it from the clearing. I followed sings of disturbance in the low brush and was again rewarded with a few widely scattered orange ribbons. This took me even closer to the left edge of the clearing. It was quick to cross the clearing, perhaps 100 yards. The side of the clear-cut opposite the Crocker herd-path is bordered by a very recent logging road. There was a large cairn near where I stepped out of the clearing onto this road. I went left, up the hill, on this large logging road. My directions said to look for another herd path on the right, marked by a blue ribbon. I soon came to a herd path on the right marked by a blue and orange ribbon. I followed this path. It was slow going. I soon found pink-orange spray paint marking the herd path. Again, I was thankful as it was an indication that I was on the right path, because every once in awhile another fainter herd path seemed to cross the one I followed. After some time the pink-orange spray paint went right while a distinct herd path kept going to the left. I tried following the paint. There was know herd path this time and I noticed that the paint was not easy to see in both directions of travel. After some time I gave up and went back to the distinct herd path, that had diverged from the paint path. I followed the heard path and it eventually broke into an overgrown logging road. Where the herd path and the overgrown logging road met there was an orange ribbon. This overgrown logging road went straight up the hill to the summit. The antenna has been re-erected and there was a pretty good view from a seat someone had made of stones. The trip over took 1 hr and 5 minutes from South Crocker. I signed the summit register, had something to eat and started back retracing my steps. I almost lost the herd path once on the Redington side of the clear-cut and once on the South Crocker side. Each time I was able to get on track. I was back on South Crocker in about an hour. My forearms were both streaked with blood from numerous run-ins with spruce and fir. (Long sleeves would have been a good idea.)

In retrospect, I wonder about the rough herd path that I followed up Redington. As I said I took a right off the new logging road bordering the clear-cut, when I saw the blue ribbon marking the herd path start. I wonder if the overgrown logging road, that I eventually found near the summit, may have met the new logging at some point. That definitely would make things easier. I heard rumors that a windmill farm may be coming to Redington. I hope the AMC does not get in the way of this one. When you consider the evils of energy seeing a windmill from the AT is the lesser of many greater issues. The trail from South Crocker over North Crocker and out to Rt 27 was long and DRY. I was hearing thunder and seeing ominous clouds building all afternoon. It got very hot and humid. I started walking, with traffic, toward Stratton with my hitching thumb out. I walked about 2 miles nursing the last of my water. During that time I was passed by all manner of SUV and minivan sporting kayaks and mountain bikes. Finally a young laborer on his way home from work picked me up in his beat-up pick-up truck. I had to sit with the chain-saw and fuel, but was grateful. About the time I got back to the Stratton Motel, all hell broke loose. Rain, Hail and lightening strikes!. The grass behind the bar next to the hotel caught fire after one strike. The rain deluge quickly extinguished things. All and all, a great day on the trail.

Happy Trails

I now know I am getting old, I remember when Redington was a real bushwack, requiring a map and compass, and the top was wooded with no tower, no herd paths, and no orange surveyors tape. BTW, the state of ME turned down the wind farm proposal.

dms said:
I now know I am getting old, I remember when Redington was a real bushwack, requiring a map and compass, and the top was wooded with no tower, no herd paths, and no orange surveyors tape. BTW, the state of ME turned down the wind farm proposal.
Interesting news!

Elvios: Thanks for the TR!

Congrats on navigating through a tricky "bushwhack". I'm glad to hear our trip reports and advice were helpful!

I was up there the day that paint was sprayed on the trees. (I only knew because they guy had painted his name and the date on a rock, and I'm glad he didn't mess with the cannister.) I had made the same mistake of following the pink spraypaint into the thick brush - I figured the person knew where they were going... but in the end I think it was a trick to teach people to trust their map and compass rather than following some dumb renegade's blazes.

I have found that it is easier to hitch a ride if you hang around by the road at the trailhead. There is usually more room for cars to pull over, and people usually don't like to stop when they're going full speed down the open road.

Last edited:
hiked the crockers and redington for the first time last week from the cvr. not being a big bushwacker i was apprehensive, but found the herd path to redington quite easy to follow especially if following the advice of "look at your feet". even in the thickest sections there was a footway. some flags as well someone put in the trickier spots. the clearcut was the only section where specific trail advice was really useful. head up through and to the left. the skidder road can't be missed. the pink blazes in the herpath after that were a bit much. hooked up with a great guy on the summit of redington and followed the logging roads down to the a.t. crossing reversing mohameds directions. great views from those roads.
patience and confidence seem to be the key in that "bushwack". glad you enjoyed it. celebrated my 30th on that trip.

bryan

Great trip report!

I did the "bushwhack" with Ray on August 6, but did get stuck in an absolute deluge with abuindant thunder and lightning. Like everyone else, the orange/pink surveyor tape was helpful. We also made the same mistake of following the pink spray paint toward the summit, but eventually headed to the left and found the main herd path. We then followed the log road route (Mohamed's directions) back to the car, not wanting to bushwhack anymore in the nasty thunderstorm and driving rain.

A few notes regarding this trip:
1. Unless you have a 4WD with high ground clearance, driving CVR to the parking area as described in Mohamed's direction, is unadvisable. You can probably drive to the metal grated bridge with most any vehicle. Beyond that, it is tough, especially about 1/2 mile past the AT intersection. With my Tacoma, I made it to the AT fairly easily, but would not have wanted to go all the way to Caribou Pond.
2. The orange blazes on the herd path to the summit, as described in Mohamed's directions, are now very faded. When I did Redington four years ago, they were very bright. This caused us a lot of confusion, as we were looking for orange blazes to descend off the summit. After trying several herd paths, we took the main one and finally found a faded orange blaze. Ray will describe this in far greater detail in his upcoming trip report. :cool:
3. The wood arrow markers, as described in Mohamed's directions, are beginning to rot and are no longer obvious. There is however, some surveyor tape on a cairn for that important left turn into the heavily evergreened tote road. Can't remember the color.

Watch for Ray's upcoming TR for more details!

Marty