Hiking this upcoming Friday 11/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forts

Reaction score
My GF and I are going hiking in the ADK on friday the 11th. She is recovering from an injury to her hip from a trip to Peru in May of this year.

In trying to complete the 46ers I am trying to find something that would be about 4 hours round trip, that wouldn't be to hard on her but challenging just the same (keep in mind we have already completed porter and cascade). Anyone know how long dial or giant are for example?

Thanks

These are, I think, the shortest hikes you could do:

-Wright : 7 miles Round Trip, average time 4h30

-Phelps : 8,8 miles RT, 5h30

-Big Slide : 7,8 miles RT, 5h30

-Giant : 6 miles RT, 6h.

I don't know the exact distance and time for Dial.

Those are summer estimated times.

Another option is Tabletop, unsure of mileage, but it takes about 4:45-5 hours for an older, fatter, out of shape guy like me to do it. Nice warm up and cool down heading from the Loj to Marcy Dam.

I posted an answer about Cascade and Porter before carefully reading your post. My wife yells at me for skimming when I read, now I know why...

Last edited:
Other considerations

Giant's 5.8m RT on Ridge Trail involves 3050 ft of elev gain
Wright's ascent is 2400 ft but bring @ least instep crampons if you intend to summit. I was on it yesterday & it's icy above treeline (as was Algonquin & Iroquois)
Dial is 9m RT via Leach trail & a 2800 ft ascent.

Lower Wolf Jaw is probably in the 'easy' list. You can also continue on to Upper, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth, etc., etc., ( :D ) if you feel up to it.

Lower Wolf Jaw is probably in the 'easy' list. You can also continue on to Upper, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth, etc., etc

tom rankin we have done all of those thanks though.