Hunter shot, rescued

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sierra said:
I used to hunt in the Whites years ago. One day I was looking down a long clearing with my binocs and saw a hunter pointing his gun at me :eek: I fired 2 shots in the air and then waved at him before approaching him. I was pissed, he said he saw something (me) and was just looking threw his scope :mad: which of course was mounted to his high powerered rifle. I informed of the dnger of this and that if any shots from him happen to come near me I would definetly be returning fire. Actually I left after the incident to hunt elsewhere, kind of scary, that was my only bad experience hunting.

So do you think by shooting back at him you stand a better chance of surviving the incident compared to just shooting into the air?.....I can just picture what would happen if a little old lady in the grocery store accidentally bumped you with her shopping cart....."bang into me will you, take that you old...."

"kind of scary"....You ain't kidding!!

Hey Slamdog, I know what ya mean. Ive not been a hunter very long, this being my 4th year. In that time Ive seen/heard some crazy, stupid things. But most of the people I meet in the woods tend to be kindly, considerate people. I joke with my buddies at how odd it is that 2 heavily armed persons with highpower rifles can meet as strangers in the woods and have a conversation like they were sipping tea over the kitchen table :D .
Brian

jade said:
I have a little orange vest magnet on my fridge......each hiking season it becomes full of newspaper clippings of hunters shooting their toes, sideview mirrors, cows, dogs, thier buddies.....I don't find accidental death humorous but all the other mishaps make me smile inside......especially when the 'big one' gets away..... :p

Do you have another magnet in the shape of a boot that you use to collect stories about hikers with frostbite, broken legs, broken arms, and those who have died from hypothermia? You could have one full fridge. That would give you a real chuckle, huh?

- darren

No...I don't have a boot but I do have a celery stock magnet that holds all my vegetarian recipes....another one I have is a deer driving a station wagon with a guy dressed in camouflage strapped to the top with an arrow sticking out his back.... :D

I wonder where hunting fits in with Leave No Trace :confused: :confused:

I enjoy the woods.......the smell, the feel, the sights, the challenge.....I appreciate it all and leave it as I found it.....Been romping in the woods for 45 years now and am always impressed and respectful of what they offer.....

I think some folks have difficulty in accepting other's viewpoints and refer to that as intolerance.......I agree with you though, Ken999 expresses his intolerance with his last post.....

I feel its intolerance when I see participants in my main sport(hiking) feel that it should take precedence over a sport others enjoy. There are many of us who don't hunt, or like hunting, but recognize that hunters were in these woods for sport and food hundreds of years before those fortunate enough to romp in the woods for fun.

Based on some of my co-workers who are hunters, the woods is the last place on earth I want to be right now in MA. I will never hike during shotgun season. They can have the woods and shoot each other for a couple of weeks. I can wait.

sierra said:
he said he saw something (me) and was just looking threw his scope :mad: which of course was mounted to his high powerered rifle.
Is using your scope like this illegal? Is it bad hunting etiquette? Are you supoposed to carry binoculars to check out a possible target before using your scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.