Nice Coastal Hike Needed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bold Coast trail in Cutler, Me winds along some spectacular cliffs but that water is cold and the tidal currents can be pretty mean. There were some spur trails that led down to several beautiful little beaches with spots to swim. We grew up swimming in the area during summers as a kid, you have to have a pretty thick skin to swim up there. IMO the Bold Coast is the prettiest coastal walk I've been on.

Dodge Point Reserve near Damariscotta, Me is very nice also with some small cliffs and lots of beaches both sand and rock. The water is a little warmer and there is lots of wildlife plus interesting trees along the coast. You can do a 5 mile loop hike.

Mt Morris is another one, near Bath, Me and with a great sand beach and some hiking around Popham beach. No cliffs but great views from Mt Morris.

The New River Beach Provincial Park in N.B. has a very nice 10K hike out along the Bay of Fundy to Barnaby Point. There are several gravel beaches along the way that are easy to get down to. I don't know how much the water warms up for swimming. New River is off Rt 1 about 45 minutes north/east of the border crossing at Calais ME.

Coastal walking!

I think, Jim, that you are talking about Morse Mountain in Phippsburg. I second it (and all the others) as excellent destinations. My personal favorite is moonlight skiing at Morse Mountain.

Almost forgot: the Camden Hills, too, though they don't drop right to the water. You can swim in Megunticook Lake, though. Sometimes that looks like the ocean. If you squint.

Of course, if you've got the time and the money and the weather, it is hard to beat a ferry ride to Monhegan Island. Those trails have views and cliffs a-plenty. Don't know about the swimming, though.

NO swimming off Monhegan, please!!! :eek: The only place safe to do so is in Lobster Cove. Those cliffs elsewhere on the island are wicked steep! :) LOL There are 15 miles worth of trails on the island and while not difficult overall, quiet beautiful and something for everyone's interest. I recommend taking the ferry out of New Harbor, called the Hardy Boat. There's a mail ferry that goes out a few days a week in winter too, that's out of Port Clyde which is further North.
Dodge Point Preserve on the Damariscotta River is great for a trail run and/or cross-country skiing ... lots of diversity with nice woods and saltwater estuarine habitat to boot.
The Camden Hills are quite nice and you don't have to enter the park proper to hike em'. My favorite, Bald Rock Mountain, can be accessed via the left at the blinking yellow light in Lincolnville near Lincolnville Beach .... and the views are absolutely stunning.

Go to jamie's trip report.

http://www.jamieofthenorth.com/Acadia National Park 10-28 to 10-30 2005.htm

The precipice is the best coastal cliff climbing. Sand beach is great, but make sure you go in august. I'd say that Sand Beach is where men go to become turtles.

I also agree w/ gaiagirl about bald rock mt. It's in my backyard. My favorite local hike. It's off of youngstown rd. Great views looking toards MDI. I have a few pics under my pics. The islands in the midcoast are also nice for bike rides. I have biked around islesboro and swans island, both very beautiful.

Last edited:
cushetunk said:
I think, Jim, that you are talking about Morse Mountain in Phippsburg. I second it (and all the others) as excellent destinations. My personal favorite is moonlight skiing at Morse Mountain.

Cushetunk you are right, I've only been there once but it really struck me as a beautiful place.

Cutler is definitely a beautiful seaside hike, but I'm not so sure I'd want to swim there. Not only is the water well below 60 degrees at it's warmest point in August, but the beaches are slippery cobblestone, which make getting in and out of the very cold water a little dangerous too.

The furthest point north that I can think of where the water isn't too cold and you won't break your ankles getting in is Sand Beach at Acadia, which is directly across from the Beehive Trail. It doesn't get much better than that if you're looking for cliffs and exposure near the shore.

BrentD22 said:
Whats the best coastal walk on the Cape?
I like White Cedar Swamp. Starts at the Marconi Station (ocean is visible from here) and goes inland. A charming and peaceful hike through a kettle hole swamp.

Don't remember the name, but there is a park with a quiet beach inside the arm, just above the elbow. Just scanned a map--looks like several possibilities.

There are several shore walks and bike paths in the National Seashore. http://www.nps.gov/caco/index.htm

Doug

Cape Cod

BrentD22 said:
Whats the best coastal walk on the Cape? Those ideas are great ones with all the cilff hikes. I can't wait to check them out.

I live on the Cape and can tell you that not only are there far too many trails to list, but that you hopefully enjoy hiking in the sand, for 90% is just that. :)
All told I think there are more than 100 miles of beaches with connecting wooded and marshed regions.

DougPaul gave a link to the National Park Service, but here is the detailed map which they hand out at the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham, open year round.

There is a lot to do down this way and many trials are shown on the map of which are mostly hard packed dirt.
The Great Island trek on the "Bay side" in Wellfleet is really nice and is a 50% sand/dirt trek combo about 9 miles round trip to Jerimy Point, where you are likely to see seals.

My favorite area would be the Province Dune lands at the Cape's tip.
If you look at the map, there is a broad area to the east and south of the Province Land Visitor Center. This region is a vast sculpted dune land where you can make your own trek through the dunes, but please avoid trampling the grasses. It is quite easy to stay on the hard packed sand and explore for miles.
It's like a mini mountain range of valleys and peaks. The region is also named the "Parabolic Dunes" on USGS maps and show a range of huge marching dunes with ecosystems between each one.

Make sure you stop off Rt 6 at Longnook Beach in Truro for an ocean view. It's the highest point on the Cape with cliffs dropping right into the ocean.
The world's fastest eroding landmass at work here!
The big joke on the Cape is, "sooner or later everyone owns waterfront property" :eek:

Another great area is Nickerson State Park in Brewster where 90% is all hardpacked trail and very little sand. Trails loop around the clearest kettle pond lakes you have ever seen.
There is also quite a thrilling paved bike trail which links directly into the widely known Cape Cod Rail Trail system.

I love the Cape for all its "off-season" uses which by far out weigh the husstle of summer crowds.

Jeff