Mount Greylock Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
Hi all... I plan to head to Greylock this weekend for an AT info meeting at the Visitor's Center in Lanesboro. I have the option at staying at a friend's place in Lenox, and may do it because the long range weather is calling for rain, but what are the winter camping options?

I plan to attend the meeting on Sat, and then maybe hike around on Sunday, including a trip to the summit.

So...

1... What are the best winter camping options? Is the camping at Sperry Road open during the winter? What about lean-tos?

2... Suggested hiking options? Something moderate. It would not matter about snowshoes/crampons, etc gear wise, I would suit up as to what would be needed.

Thanks!
Kevin

My favourite winter option is to hike up the Gould Trail, staying at the Gould Shelter. This is a nice leanto, and the water source is not too far. You can park on West Mountain Road. Cross the river, follow the trail up to the right, then look for the Gould trail on your left. (It's easy to miss without these directions) I think the shelter is less than 3 miles from the TH.

-percious

From the visitor map for winter, as you can see, from the visitor center, you will have to walk Rockwell Road to get there. While it appears that Roaring Brook Road provides a shorter distance, Rockwell will be packed out likely from the snowmobiles so you should be able to make better time on it.

Roaring Brook is a nice hike up,nothing very difficult. Camping on Sperry is open,and in fact the road may be open up to Sperry,for 4wd vehicles-depending on what the park ranger thinks. We usually do a loop of RB up camp at Sperry,hike to the summit,back to camp,and out on the Stony Ledge Trail.

KayakDan said:
Camping on Sperry is open,and in fact the road may be open up to Sperry,for 4wd vehicles-depending on what the park ranger thinks.

I've never seen the gates at the bottom of either the Rockwell Rd. (south end) or Notch Rd. (north end) open for 4wd traffic in the winter.

Basically the roads are open to snowmobiles, skis, snowshoes or foot traffic only. Walking up the road is likely to be pretty time-consuming and boring though you could certainly tow a sled pretty easily. Skiing the road is much more interesting, especially on the way out. Its smooth and wide enough for skate skiing. There are no tracks set for classical so while you can use that technique it's better when there is a new snowfall that gives your skis something to track in.

The best on foot approach to the Sperry Rd. campground and shelters in winter is via the Roaring Brook Trail. There are other shelters on the mountain as well but none that are easily accessed from the south where the visitor's center is located.

bcskier said:
I've never seen the gates at the bottom of either the Rockwell Rd. (south end) or Notch Rd. (north end) open for 4wd traffic in the winter.
A year or two ago we hiked in on Roaring Brook to camp in the winter.As we were setting up camp I saw a couple of vehicles go by. I talked top the ranger a little later and he said he left the gate open,marked for 4wd vehicles only,as the road wasn't too bad.That may have been a one time event.