Sunrise Hikes in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
Instead of hijacking the Sunrise Hikes in the ADK thread, I thought that I would ask about relatively easy sunrise hikes in the Whites (If there are any).

I'm going to be staying in the Whites all next week (I'll be in Bartlett). My plan is to mainly do some leisurly day hikes to test out and play with the new digital SLR. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places to catch a good sunrise. I haven't done any hiking in the dark, but if it's a relatively easy trail to follow, I figure it shouldn't be too much of a problem with the proper headlamps and backup lights. I would much rather hike up in the dark with the sky starting to lighten up as opposed to hiking out after dark.

Thanks,

Glenn

From Bartlet you can drive up to Crawford Notch and hike up Mt Willard. It's only about a 30-45 minutes and has a great view of the notch for sunrise.

-dave-

If you search back to a thread called "Best place to see sunrises in the Whites..." from February, there are some good ones listed.

(Sorry I don't know how to link a thread :eek:)

You could follow the auto road to the top of Cathedral Ledge, although it would be wise to check it out in daylight first.

For relatively easy hikes, I would add Cathedral Ledge, where you can either hike or drive up the road. If you have an LL Bean summer catalog, look at the scenes showing the models setting up a tent on ledge. That would be your viewpoint.

Canadian wildfires are still making really nice sunrise/sunsets. As recently as yesterday, the sun has been extra deep red in the morning.

Happy Trails :)

One of my favorite White Mountain sunrises was at Guyot Shelter, not an early morning short hike but another excuse to be there.