How to clean a moose skull?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogorchis

Reaction score
My daughter and I found an old moose skull, complete with all its teeth on the side of a small hill in the Quabbin Reservoir. It is well weathered with no flesh left on it. We want to clean it carefully, especially it's pearly whites. He didn't use Crest Whitening strips! :D Anyone else ever encountered this problem?

Run a search for taxidermy supplies. You should be able to find special chemical whiteners. Despite the temptation, DO NOT use bleach. It makes the skull brittle.

That or you could have a taxidermist do it for you, but I dont know what that would cost you.

Brian

Bleach is a no-no!

Thanks, I did know that we shouldn't bleach it, except maybe with an enzyme bleach. Will check out the taxidermy supplies web site! :)

Skull cleaning

Here is advice on the use of beetles and boiling (with the addition of papain, the active ingredient in Adolph's meat tenderizer)

Dermestid beetles: A beetle colony is by far the best way to clean tissue from bones. University zoology or biology departments or fish and game laboratories may have active colonies and might be willing to clean a few things for you. If you are interested in starting a larger collection you will need a colony of your own. Either of the two sources listed above should provide you with enough bugs to get started. The beetles themselves are about 1/4 inch long and flightless and have a tremendous appetite. I have found an old refrigerator or chest freezer(depending on the anticipated size of specimens) to make a nice home. It is insulated and the sides are slick so the bugs don't crawl out (You do not want them to escape!). Even a 5 gallon bucket works fine if you are just cleaning small animals. Dermestids like about 75-80 degrees and moisture level is important. If conditions are too damp then bacteria and fungi become a problem. General conditions need to be somewhat dry. If animals are skinned and organs and brains are removed along with some of the larger muscle groups, the spoilage problem should be eliminated. You may need to use a spray bottle of water every once in a while to help soften the tissue a bit if it gets too dry. When the beetles have finished their work, a simple soaking in hydrogen peroxide for about 4-5 hours and then about a 10% bleach solution over night will make them look like the pictures in the catalogs. One of the many advantages of this method is the ability to clean small, fragile specimens. The dermestid larvae are tiny and will even clean the brain cavity and nasal passages of shrews. Another advantage is that the articulation of the skeletons remain intact.

The boiling method: Skeletons can be boiled to remove unwanted tissue. Removing as much tissue ahead is advisable and separating the animal into parts and then into zip-lock bags to boil helps the sorting when finished. A pinch of the enzyme papain (the active ingredient in meat tenderizers) will "speed" up the process. It is slow and the smell will offend even most veteran biology teacher. The exact procedure is rather lengthy. Please feel free to write or call if you would like a copy.

This was found at: http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/SH/NABT_CHA/reckin_bird.html

Although your moose skull is clean and doesn't appear to need any flesh cleaning I thought I'd add to bcskier's post for anyone else interested in salvaging a skull.
As someone who's done both methods bcskier describes I would suggest anyone to use the beetles unless you want to have the neighborhood ready to condemn you. If you decide to boil, bring a strong stomach and don't stand downwind of the pot!

Another method that we've had success with is to bury the skull for a year. This only works if you are in an area where it won't be dug up by another animal.

It never ceases to impress me what good advice you can get here ... but I can't help wonder what you plan to do with said moose ... dress it and bring it to Audrey and Pat's pot luck?

What a great find, Ginger, and what an interesting question! :D If I were you, I'd try the Crest Whitening strips!

Heehee!

:D :D :D

Pop the teeth out, there's tissue under them that will stink later. Label which came from top/lower jaw and right or left. Soak the skull in peroxide as mentioned about and then super glue the teeth back in.

Last edited:
Moose skull and Halloween

Stan -my ghoulish daughter suggested that we get it clean and put it on a table with votive candles placed so that they would glow through the eye sockets to scare the neighborhood kids. But, kids see so much on TV today, that I don't think that this will do the trick! :D

Teeth

Sleeping Bear - Thanks! I never thought about the fact that there would be goop under the teeth; it makes sense of course!! :rolleyes: Guess that this is going to be a bigger project then we thought. But, Mr. Moose will be a fine specimen when we finish with him. :D

Yikes! Beetles

BC Skier! Those beetles sound a bit much! I read an account similar to the one that you sent. Fortunately, Mr. Moose is clean, except of the goop under his teeth. :eek:

Finding stuff on bushwhacks!

Stinkyfeet - Never know what will show up in the leaves on a bushwhack! Cilla was very pleased. :) A few minutes before she had been grumbling and grousing about my going off trail! Then, after we found Mr. Moose, it was a different story! Hmm! Anyone ever tried Crest Whitening strips on a moose jaw! :D