A Poll about Poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

About poles: have you

• Total voters
The pole poll missed an answer - I use poles sporadically, mostly on longer hikes and steep downs. Like Pete, I prefer to rely on strength and conditioning. Unfortunately, arthritis began to get the better of my knees several years ago, which is when I began augmenting natural ability with poles and knee braces. I can say with certainty that the better condition I'm in (as opposed to say... now :rolleyes: ), the less knee pain I get, the less I use the poles.

Neil has valid points about the straps. Properly worn and adjusted they can relieve an enormous amount of stress from the hands and lower arms. Even knowing that, I prefer not to use them. I'm worried I might fall and that not being able to drop the pole might injure me. Probably a small risk, but it did happen once - the only result was a slight wrench to my shoulder. But once out of all the miles of used them is pretty small odds.

The poles I use most of the time have cane-like handles. I find they keep my hands in a more natural state than gripping the stick-like types.

My one warning is don't use the straps. Take them off! When you use the straps and get the poles "tangled" around your feet (okay, so I'm a bit clumzy) you can't just let go of them, 'cause they're attached. After falling a few times for that very reason, I decided the only things straps should be used for is hanging the poles up. Sure, skiers strap their poles onto their arms, but hiking, for me, is different. I strap when I ski.

poles

I've been hiking since age 8, still hiking past age 50 :) . My husband & I first saw someone hiking w/ poles while hiking Saddleback about 10 years ago, and that guy was hiking really fast. Next day we hiked Washington, for the "upteenth" (spell check?) time but this time w/ rented poles. I've used poles ever since, in the Whites, WY, WVA, VA. Not wanting to become dependant upon the poles, and also wanting to continue to be a strong hiker, I adjusted my between-hikes workout, and have included more stretching and lifting, with careful attention to my knees. I think that's helped my hiking so much (I also swim, run & bike, but not with the poles ;) .

I always carry my poles, but take care to use them intentionally rather than automatically. I'll use them on most steep ups & downs, for water-crossings. I did not use them for Owl's Head slide, and I was most thankful to have left them behind as the poles would have been a huge hinderance to me.

This summer I'm planning to hike Katahdin, my first time. Should I use the poles, or not I wonder? We'll be hiking up the AT to the summit.

dottie

Alltho I make extensive use of the straps on the downhills you have to be very carefull not to snag your pole and wreck your shoulder. You'd think poles would be a PITA on bushwhacks and they are at times but I prefer using them.

Strong muscles and good technique are much better for joints than weak muscles but strong muscles and properly adjusted and well utilized poles are even better!

I use poles predominantly in the winter and rarely in the summer, though I do carry them on long hikes (>15 miles) just in case. Carrying a heavier pack in the winter (heightens my center of gravity) and walking on non-solid footing leads to times when I need some extra balance help. Going without poles increases my sense of balance and strengthens the numerous balance muscles in the legs.

I never, repeat never, use the straps, except to hang my poles on a tree or in the shed. I was cruising quite fast into the col between Field and Willey one winter when the basket caught on a snow buried branch and it brought me to a shoulder wrenching stop and landed me flat on my back. I would certainly trade a stronger grip and a dropped pole once in a while rather than risk a senseless injury.

JohnL

eruggles said:
The poles I use most of the time have cane-like handles. I find they keep my hands in a more natural state than gripping the stick-like types.

My one warning is don't use the straps. Take them off! When you use the straps and get the poles "tangled" around your feet (okay, so I'm a bit clumzy) you can't just let go of them, 'cause they're attached. After falling a few times for that very reason, I decided the only things straps should be used for is hanging the poles up. Sure, skiers strap their poles onto their arms, but hiking, for me, is different. I strap when I ski.
Most people find that proper use of the straps* reduces the stress on the hands and wrists. With the straps, one often does not need to grip the pole at all. Certainly true for me.

I have used a real cane (in town, while a leg injury was healing)--IMO, the pole with strap is superior.

Different poles for different folks...

* Proper use of straps: bring hand up through strap from below. The strap fits between the thumb and forfinger between your hand and the pole handle. The pole need only be gripped lightly, and sometimes not at all. Essentially, all high forces are taken by the strap, not your hand.

Doug

Last edited:
Neil said:
Alltho I make extensive use of the straps on the downhills you have to be very carefull not to snag your pole and wreck your shoulder. You'd think poles would be a PITA on bushwhacks and they are at times but I prefer using them.
I have taken the small baskets off of my hiking poles--they catch in the underbrush too often for my taste. I don't find the loss of flotation to be a serious problem.

And yes, I do use ski baskets on snow. (But they still catch in the underbrush... :( )

Doug

Ahh yes, the periodic pole thread... There are lots more if you search for them.

I sometimes use them, sometimes not--depends on the terrain, my conditioning, how far I want to go, my fatigue level, etc. I have been known to take them on a hike and never use them... Other times, I may use them most of the time.

I find them most useful for:
* high step-ups to reduce the strain on the leg (primarily hip) muscles. (Double pole as you step up.)
* somewhat useful for sustained uphill at a moderate grade
* longish steps down to reduce the strain on the quads
* energy absorbtion on long downhills
* balance on logs, bog bridges, stream crossings, etc

I find them not helpful for:
* level walking (they make almost no difference)
* situations where I need my hands directly on the rock or trees (stow the poles or collapse and hang from my arm/wrist)

Used one at a time while walking, they tend to mess up my balance (because they must be placed off to the side)--my balance is better without. Balance is good in a double-pole. Also when a pole slips (say off a rock), it also messes up my balance.

Where footing is complicated, it is even worse with poles--you now have 4 "feet" (2 unnatural) to control.

Lots of good info on pole use and technique: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Doug

Neil said:
Alltho I make extensive use of the straps on the downhills you have to be very carefull not to snag your pole and wreck your shoulder.
Way back in Winter School, I was taught to take my hands out of the straps for downhill trail skiing, for just this reason. I was also taught that proper use of the strap (hand from below) was less likely to result in a wrist injury than improper use of the strap (hand from above).

The Leki snow basket (deep notches around the rim) is particularly prone to snagging in the brush. A basket with a continuous rim is probably less so.

Doug

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
I purposely started this poll so I can inquire (using the results) at PT at 11:30 today. I'll add what I learn. I am really interested in whether the poles are a crutch, used in lieu of properly strengthening the muscles which hold the knee (cap) in place, which is apparently the cause of some (most?) knee pain...

So, if you've stopped using poles, I would really like to here why and what the result was (must be positive else you'd have gone back, right?)

Thanks,
Tim
I can’t say I never ‘used’ them because I did use them for a time (a few years ago) after reading so many posts on how important / beneficial they are. I can honestly say I had more knee trouble using them than before using them and have no knee / ankle trouble since not using them (and I am not a youth ;) ). Poles make me walk funny :) . I will bring them along if it is really icy, or I may find a stick for a water crossing but for me poles are the ‘pain’.

PS – I also feel that people have colder hands when using poles, and walking behind people with poles is sometimes scarey :eek: .

I don't use poles 99% of the time because I like to keep my hands free--they tend to get very cold if I'm holding onto poles, no matter the thickness of my mitts. I am blessed with good, strong joints :) so have never really felt the need to use them. (Hopefully I can continue saying this for the next 30, 40 years!)

Also it is my belief (experiment of one--no scientific proof) that not using poles helps maintain good balance.

The 1% of the time I use poles? They ARE helpful in flicking fresh snow off branches! :D

It doesn't sound like many folks have given them up. Two people responded they had, but didn't post. Timmus started the whole question so we can include her as #3. I wasn't looking for 'the periodic pole post' -- I was looking for feedback from folks who've given them up, and to see if there was a negative correlation with knee pain.

As promised, I'm back from PT, and her opinion was "personal choice" -- not a hiker, but she doesn't think they would really be(come) a crutch.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
I was looking for feedback from folks who've given them up, and to see if there was a negative correlation with knee pain.
I used to use them more when my knee was worse. But I also used them more when I was enjoying some achilles tendonitis. Don't use them as much as I used to. Does it make a real difference in knee/ankle pain? Maybe.

As promised, I'm back from PT, and her opinion was "personal choice" -- not a hiker, but she doesn't think they would really be(come) a crutch.
Guess the only way to find out is to try them yourself. If you have adjustable ski poles, just take the snow baskets off and give them a try. And check out "Pete's Treking Poles" (the page I linked to) for a fairly complete howto. He also has some comments on knee pain.

Doug

I started using poles about 10 years ago following a badly sprained ankle on Galehead. I managed to get out on my own speed using my hiking staff, but realized that should it happen again trekking poles would be much better in an emergency. Took a bit of getting used to, but have never regretted it. They have prevented many more slips and falls.

Speaking of baskets - I use snow baskets year-round. True, sometimes they catch on the odd branch, but have found their floatation in snow, mud, sand, whatever to be more than worth the hassles.

Sometime when I'm really flush I'm going to spring for some of those superlightweight one piece jobbers that only weigh a few ounces that the ultralight hiker types fawn over. Probably just gear lust, and they're not very sturdy, but what the hell?

Last edited:
This May Sound Obvious But...

...I use my poles when I think I need them which translates into: on downhill slopes in the 3 seasons; and uphill and downhill slopes in the winter. I would probably prefer not to use them at all so that my hands are free for such important things as head scratchin' and nose-pickin' but I've tripped up too many times and risked a bad sprain or break to go without them. Also, I do find that, with poles, I can really turn on the speed on the downhills (hey, I've just realised why I trip up so much...) and get back to the ankle-biters at home.

But each to his own - the vast majority of my fellow (UK) countrymen laugh at pole-users. Unbelievers!