weekend weather in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about weather for Saturday and or Sunday? It is absolutely frigid up here in the Mount Washington Valley today, but I was hearing that tomorrow should be better, ie, temperatures not as low and winds greatly diminished. I am doing a guided hike tomorrow and I'm also hoping to get up something that's still on my Winter list on Sunday. I don't think I would choose to be up on Franconia Ridge on a day like today, though I am sure the views are absolutely stunning. Hoping the weekend's weather looks a bit warmer. Any info would be super!

Thanks,

I hope I don't sound stupid, but I honestly never quite believe the Observatory forecasts. If I wanted current conditions on the higher summits, I'd go right to their webpage, of course. But I haven't been quite as thrilled with their forecasts. I suppose I should check it out, it's probably the best I can do.

Not so sure about the wang chunging part, but fun will be had, I'm sure. :D

ok fair enough - not sure what else is really out there for better predictions.

dance hall days...

come on your about my age - a child of the 80's? you don't know that saying/song.

giggy said:
ok fair enough - not sure what else is really out there for better predictions.

dance hall days...

come on your about my age - a child of the 80's? you don't know that saying/song.

maybe of the 80's but a child?

Wang Chung Tonight

Last edited:
Yes, I am a child of the 80s but I think I've blocked out a good deal of the music by choice! (Well, ok, except The Wedding Singer was really funny and some of the music had me singing along. Who doesn't love Billy Idol, am I right??!!! :D ) Yeah, I know the line, just not sure what in the hell it means!

giggy said:
haha - meaning I was a child in the 80's... thats so bananarama :eek:

frankie says choose life -

I wish I was a child in the 80's...us old guys of the 70's could only come up with stuff like "a hiking we will go" by the Chipmunks!

Some day, I hope to be older than dirt too (am I in no rush, though! :p ). And still hiking; that part's key.

The weather should moderate this weekend. Looks like a nice'un.

I think the Obs is usually dead on. I think they're one of your best bets. (Certainly better than the Disaster Channel.) Of course, it's meteorology, so there is certainly a margin for error.

P.S. I'm wang chunging right now.

closing

I use the MWO & TWC & then think in a range between the two based on my destination (Tripryamids this weekend)

Expect temps in single digits, depending on destination, one side of zero or the other. Latest TWC shows wind slowing down but I'd still back the face masks, goggles, etc...

and how about some good songs from the 80's. Van Halen, Metallica.

Weather Site

Here you go....

A site with a little of everything. Clearly trying to be all things to all people. I used the forecasting models (NOAA MOS FORECASTS) quite a bit last year and they were extremely helpful. If you know the code name for a location then you're on the way. Mount Washington (summit) is KMWN. The Nashua Airport which is very close to my house is KASH.

http://www.crownweather.com/summitsforecast.html

What more could you possibly want? :D

Earl

As I am quite involved in the weather in the whites, I'll add a few thoughts. First off, no one has mentioned it, but in season, the avalanche forecast often has good discussions on the forecast as well as snow conditions in the ravine, and should be added to any scouting process IMO

gaiagirl said:
I hope I don't sound stupid, but I honestly never quite believe the Observatory forecasts. If I wanted current conditions on the higher summits, I'd go right to their webpage, of course. But I haven't been quite as thrilled with their forecasts. I suppose I should check it out, it's probably the best I can do.

First off, as the weather in the whites is often not as well behaved as we would like, and all forecasts SHOULD be cross-checked and scrutanized during the decision making process before a hike...

However:
Recent changes in the MWO have created a product that has increased accuracy...

Basically, they decided to move into taking the responsibility of forecasting from the summits, a function that the organization had never done before, soley focusing on their mission to observer and educate. Until then, they just took the NWS higher summits forecasts, which are limited. But the old forecasts are still produced by NWS Grey, ME and are available through weather.gov as a cross check!

They've found our new forecasts to verify quite well internally...but it's not the easiest place to forecast for period. The one thing I can guarentee, is that the MWO puts the most human time into analyzing the weather for the whites, with four degreed mets on staff. Often, if unsure of the forecast, they'll post it, and therefore the discussion is often more valuable than the 36 hour forecast itself as we discuss the range of possible weather.

Most major websites mt wash forecasts all are repackaged computer models, which hit well sometimes, but can be VERY wrong...that's why meteorologists exist, to interprit the models with their experience and skill...

If you have specific thoughts, I know that they are always open to critique and ideas on style and delivery!

trailbiscuit said:
I think the Obs is usually dead on. I think they're one of your best bets. (Certainly better than the Disaster Channel.) Of course, it's meteorology, so there is certainly a margin for error.

Great to hear! For reasons above, positive feedback is as important as criticism!

BIGEarl said:
Here you go....

A site with a little of everything. Clearly trying to be all things to all people. I used the forecasting models (NOAA MOS FORECASTS) quite a bit last year and they were extremely helpful. If you know the code name for a location then you're on the way. Mount Washington (summit) is KMWN. The Nashua Airport which is very close to my house is KASH.

http://www.crownweather.com/summitsforecast.html

What more could you possibly want? :D

Earl

Crownweather is a great go to stop for white mountain weather for sure, as it collects data from a large number of areas. I recommend checking it out!

Last edited:
w7xman - I think you guys do a heck of a job up there. (U work there right?) by 7am usually, we have a good weather report and avy report - which I agree with your assement - I use those 2 all the time to make a go - no go call as to what to do.

KUDOS to the the MWO for what they do.

like I said - there is no better place to get weather for the hills :)

MWO is NOAA (or affiliated??) - or is it not?

giggy said:
w7xman - I think you guys do a heck of a job up there. (U work there right?) by 7am usually, we have a good weather report and avy report - which I agree with your assement - I use those 2 all the time to make a go - no go call as to what to do.

KUDOS to the the MWO for what they do.

like I said - there is no better place to get weather for the hills :)

MWO is NOAA (or affiliated??) - or is it not?

Thanks, yes, I'm up there...and thanks for the kudos. WE do take the new forecasting charge seriously, and appreciate all constructive feedback, good or bad. But really posted to impart general knowledge of weather products for the whites...

MWO is not NOAA, it's non-profit research and observation, with a contract to NOAA to provide obs. Common misconception that's tough to dispell...but we do work closely at times with the mets over there...

Last edited:
w7xman said:
As I am quite involved in the weather in the whites, I'll add a few thoughts. First off, no one has mentioned it, but in season, the avalanche forecast often has good discussions on the forecast as well as snow conditions in the ravine, and should be added to any scouting process IMO

First off, as the weather in the whites is often not as well behaved as we would like, and all forecasts SHOULD be cross-checked and scrutanized during the decision making process before a hike...

However:
Recent changes in the MWO have created a product that has increased accuracy...

Basically, they decided to move into taking the responsibility of forecasting from the summits, a function that the organization had never done before, soley focusing on their mission to observer and educate. Until then, they just took the NWS higher summits forecasts, which are limited. But the old forecasts are still produced by NWS Grey, ME and are available through weather.gov as a cross check!

They've found our new forecasts to verify quite well internally...but it's not the easiest place to forecast for period. The one thing I can guarentee, is that the MWO puts the most human time into analyzing the weather for the whites, with four degreed mets on staff. Often, if unsure of the forecast, they'll post it, and therefore the discussion is often more valuable than the 36 hour forecast itself as we discuss the range of possible weather.

Most major websites mt wash forecasts all are repackaged computer models, which hit well sometimes, but can be VERY wrong...that's why meteorologists exist, to interprit the models with their experience and skill...

If you have specific thoughts, I know that they are always open to critique and ideas on style and delivery!

Great to hear! For reasons above, positive feedback is as important as criticism!

Crownweather is a great go to stop for white mountain weather for sure, as it collects data from a large number of areas. I recommend checking it out!

I also forgot, another place to surely check when gathering info is Eye on the Sky from the Fairbanks Museum! It's for VT, but will give you a good idea of the weather coming in, as well as lower elevations than the MWO forecasts, which are for above treeline!

Here's that link...
http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/eye_recreational.cfm

W7xman,
Thanks for all your info. I realize predicting the weather in the entire area is dicey, no matter the time of year. Add the fact that it's winter, and I'm interested in forecasts for the valleys and summits, and obviously there's no such thing is dead-on predictions. Some of my disdain of late has been with general forecasts for the area (radio and print) that have predicted snow and have been utterly false. (My snowshoeing field trips next week are going to be slippery hikes!! :() There's also been a lot of situations when myriad forecasts have been very different depending on who you listen to. Perhaps I need to just stop listening, go directly to the Observatory site when I want a forecast, and assume it's the best I'm gonna get!! :)

gaiagirl said:
W7xman,
Some of my disdain of late has been with general forecasts for the area (radio and print) that have predicted snow and have been utterly false. :)

I hear that...It's been alot of wishcasting/overhyping of snow events way to far out, and alot of dissappointment. And I'm guilty (a little) of that as well! I'm lucky that the format I work with is only 36 hours out, but it's been a rough winter on all of us!

w7xman said:
I'm lucky that the format I work with is only 36 hours out, but it's been a rough winter on all of us!

Yeah, I notice that while driving to work on Thursday -- you won't give me the Saturday forecast! And on Friday's commute, you never tell me about Sunday. :( :mad: :( :mad: ;)

Tim