Webster Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I hiked in to Mt Mist from Glencliff AT crossing to count blowdowns with an eye to removal. A group had reported a huge blowdown just east of Mt Mist summit. On the way in, I came across a blaze orange bandana tied around a tree just off the trail. On the ground under the bandanna was a badly chewed up red sweatshirt and a GI web belt and plastic canteen which also had many chewed up spots. About a mile further in, just approaching the Webster Slide Cliff, someone had abandoned a large backpack stuffed full of food. It had been there for quite a while because the food was rotted and it stunk like h3ll. Not wanting to deal with the stink, I just left it alone. Well, today I went back in, had a nice lunch on top of Webster Cliff overlooking beautiful Wachapauka Pond, and on the way out dealt with the mess. Two trash bags and rubber gloves got the rotten mess into my pack for the trip out. Anyway, this is a really nice little hike to the top of a pretty spectacular clifftop viewpoint. With another decent snowfall, I am going to give it a go on BC skis. One hour got me into the pond with about eight inches of snow on the trail. I never did find the "huge" blowdown blocking the trail.