Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkpooh

Reaction score
I may have made a mistake this afternoon when in my local EMS. For about 14 years now we have settled for military surplus plain foam pads that are light but very bulky. I have wanted to step up to a nice and cozy sleeping pad and had my mind on a Thermarest Prolite 3.

The store actually had sample pads stacked up at the display. When I actually viewed the pad of my dreams, I realized...there really isn't much padding at all. I could completely pinch it flat between my fingers without much effort (fully inflated)....and figured it would fare the same under my tailbone. After looking at a few other models, I ended up with the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad. I fully understood this was a "pool floaty" model. It was super lightweight and easily packable. Unfortunately, without doing my homework, I never realized it is NOT self-inflating.

Now that I have a $60 insulated pool float that I have to blow up (I hear that it only takes a couple minutes...) I do have half a mind to return it. I see in a few older posts that they are recommended. I was wondering if anyone who has experience with this pad (or similar styles) may have changed their minds through use. My primary worries are:

Anyones' sleeping bag continuously slide off of it through the course of the night?

Being insulated, is it way too warm on a summer night? (Warm sleeper).

Any equipment failures? Valve? Blowouts? Material breakdown through time/basic use?

I just hate the thought of "upgrading the gear" but still not being any happier in the end. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
adkpooh said:
Anyones' sleeping bag continuously slide off of it through the course of the night?

Being insulated, is it way too warm on a summer night? (Warm sleeper).
I've used blow up tube type pads in the past. With selective inflation falling off is not the problem. Of course the biggest problem with these is that they are cold without additional insulation.

I bought the same BA pad you have a couple of years ago to try out its insulating qualities in a Hennessy hammock. I have a couple of BA sleeping bags that I like very much so I figured BA would make a good air core insulated pad as well. I didn't mind manually blowing it up.

I hated it. It didn't insulate nearly as well as a Thermarest type of pad. My backside nearly froze in temperatures otherwise very comfortable for a thin ultralight version Thermarest. I rarely return a product, but I sent this one back to REI for a refund.

I much prefer the Thermarest type of pad for performance and durability so I'll stick with that.

Last edited:
I have the BA pad and love it for summer. It takes a little time to blow up but it's lighter and more comfortable than a self inflating pad. It's too cold for winter use.

I have had one for five years.

==I couldn't sleep on less, had to have the 'mattress' aspect, so all the others were no-go options.

==Blowing it up is a pain, yes, but it takes me less than a minute and isn't a show-stopper, even after the exertions of a full day's backpacking.

==I'm a cold sleeper, so it's tough in the winter, but I have otherwise LOVED having something under my tail.

Even with drawbacks (inflation, weight, winter cold), I have never regretted the buy, and it has never stranded me. No buyer's remorse on this one.

Hopefully, you'll come to like it, or find someone who will.

So what do you (who need enough support to buy an air mattress) use in cold weather? Does it work? I need an option for below 20*.

Last edited:
--M. said:
So what do you (who need enough support to buy an air mattress) use in cold weather? Does it work? I need an option for below 20*.
The standard gear is to carry two; one open and one closed cell foam pads. The first provides insulation from the snow, the second provides comfort.

I don't know if this helps but: After trying all the standard offerings and combos, needing insulation and a bit more comfort, I found an Exped Airmat 9 which is a non-self inflating "pool floaty" inside a shell of evazote (which is kind of like the old ensolite). It blows up quickly (only a few more puffs than was always required of my self-inflating pad) deflates FAST and is much more comfortable than what I had been using. This pad is so thick (3 1/2" I think) that it does seem to create a bit of a channel and draft at the bottom sides of my bag. To eliminate this draft I started using an old nylon bag cover "bivy" again, which is fine as it protects the bag and holds everything together. If it's going to be really cold I put all this on top of an old 3/4 length 3/8" ensolite pad, which packs well.

I have had a not so good experience with the Big Agnes pad. I had the BA with the primaloft insulation. It was warm and comfy, but kept springing leaks. The pad never left the tent and I did not abuse it. I went through three of them and they kept leaking. BA was very good with returning it, sending out a call tag for it and sending me a new one, but it is a pain when you wake up on a deflated pad. So, when I sent the third one back I asked for a full refund, which I received. I was not the only one who had this problem, two of my friends also had the same experience. I then purchased the Therma Rest ProLite 4, not a bad pad, but I needed more cushioning. So, I purchaded Xpeds Down Mat...great pad. I use it in winter and don't need anything under it. It is snuggy warm and comfortable. It comes with a stuff sack that is also used to inflate the pad. Takes about 7/10 fills of the bag to inflate. The down is your insulation thus negating the need for a second pad. I only have it since last November so I can't say how it will stand up to wear. It makes it though this summer and fall, then I will say it handles wear well.

Thanks for the info!!

I appreciate the responses and it does give food for thought. I will consider the Exped mats.....but, I am thinking of field testing this one first. If I do try it out I will report back.

I can say that Big Agnes customer support answered a question that I had about the pad super quickly. They has said that the pad does not have a weight limit regardless if it is well inflated...(wondered if I would be startled awake by a gunshot only to realize it was my sleeping pad having a blowout.)

adkpooh said:
(wondered if I would be startled awake by a gunshot only to realize it was my sleeping pad having a blowout.)
Be very careful if you use it in the desert southwest...

Doug

Cactus thorns will make air matresses go fizzzzzz.

Last edited:
For cold weather (sleeping on snow), I have a closed cell Ridgerest and a Thermorest (standard)-both are full length. Haven't used them that much, but they seem to work fine.

Staraight up, the Ridge rest and Thermarest combination in the winter, Thermarest in the summer.
I was witness to the "hole in the BA" in Alaska, it wasnt pretty.
I have for years prior used a Ridge rest in winter, frankly the combo is warmer.
As for the slipping, I agree that can be an issue, fixed with good site prep.

Sleep well,

SABERG

i purchased the ba air pad and used it last summer and found it to be a total chore!! nevermind that it's very slippery, i actually had to make a barricade at the end of my tent to keep me from sliding, it was ridiculous : ) i'll stick with my thermorest : )