Newcomer to hydration

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I started in the pre-hydration days and would like to jump in.
One of my summer packs, an Osprey has a couple of options to use a hydration bag.
Could someone cut thru all the variety of options and give some advice to a complete newcomer to hydration bags? I'm thinking a 3 liter capacity, but beyond that, what else should I be looking for? Platypus or CamelBak?
Freeze the bag after each use? Get the insulated hose to keep the water colder in summer? mouthpiece options? Cleaning and maintainance tips?

One of the reasons I haven't taken the plunge in the past was simplicity.
With packing food, dog food, proper clothing, planning routes, hydration seemed like a hassle in comparison to 2-4 liters of fluid in bottles.
On the other hand, sipping while walking does seem like it might be worth it.
Does having the tube right there cause you to drink more during the day?
Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Alan

There are a number of options...here's my experience:

I have a 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle, which is essentially a bladder housed in a tough nylon casing. It doesn't weigh much more than a Lexan bottle and definitely less than 3 Lexan bottles.

Backpacker magazine a while back did a road test on 5 or 6 similar products and only half of them survived the "Splat" test - getting run over with a truck.

I never put anything other than water in it, which simplifies the cleaning chore. All I do after use is to remove the shut off valve and the bite valve, give a quick rinse, drain as much as possible, and then insert a 6''dowel into each to keep the interior walls open and able to dry. I hang them up on a peg and that's it. The company does sell a contraption to aid in drying, but it's not necessary.

The "big bite" mouthpiece is much better than the original one, if they still make both.

The right-angled shutoff valve puts the mouthpiece at the correct angle for sipping.

A couple of my packs have an integral tube holder on the shoulder strap. If yours doesn't, you can purchase one.

I can't say that it always makes me drink more, but it is so much more convenient.

My only issue has been emptying the thing into the back of the car when the lid wasn't screwed on properly. Now I always press on the bladder after filling and closing to make sure that there is no seepage around the threads.

Wow, Audrey pretty much covered it all! I'll add I've never had trouble with Platypus bags and have used them exclusively (above freezing temps; Nalgene bottle below) for the past 5 years. The sole issue I've ever had is that I've only had (perhaps they only make?) bite valves that do not have shutoffs, and I have a nasty habit of setting my pack down on the bite valve and spraying water everywhere, including in the back of the car.

A nice thing about the Platypi is that they come in all sorts of sizes. The 0.5L is perfect for wine, the 2L for a day hike, the 3L for longer trips, or a combination thereof for filtering water on a backpack at a campsite. In fact, let me reiterate that ... an empty platypus bag weighs almost nothing at all, so I always take an extra one when I backpack, and when I get to camp I have a marathon session of pumping/filtering to load 'em all up, then I'm stocked with water for that night, the next morning, and my departure.

They do go from a soft to a slightly crinkly feeling over time, but they're still secure; I've never had one leak. I replace them only when the layers start to delaminate, which took me a couple of hiking seasons. Since Platypus sells all parts separately any kind of replacement remains cheap.

For cleaning, a good rinsing after every hike and hang dry with the bag puffed out. An occasional pull of a pipe cleaner (they make hydration-bag-specific versions, too) through the hose will help, as will an overnight full of water with a teaspoon of bleach every few weeks, but are not strictly necessary. I do it because I tend to blend a little Emergen'C or Gatorade powder into my water.

You will be very happy with pretty much any system, do be sure the hose is long enough to reach all the way from your pack's hydration sleeve to your mouth. There may be a ring on the shoulder strap to pass the hose through, if not, the hoses come with little clips. Oh, and the bag should go into your pack hose-down.

I too stuck with bottles for years, upgraded to a Camelbak 3-4 years ago. I've been very happy with the change.

The only criteria I had that I haven't seen here is that I wanted one with an opening large enough to fit my hand inside to help make cleaning easier.

The right-angle shutoff is, in my opinion, a necessary accessory. It does make the bite valve easier to use by turning it in the right direction, and you can shut it off while traveling to cut down on the risks of leakage.

As for insulating the hose... I've gone both ways on this. In the winter, the first gulp is cold (I use it XC skiing) and the next gulps are warm, and vice versa in summer. The insulation on the hose will delay freezing, but not prevent it (the bite valve freezes first anyway.) If you raise and pinch the bite valve after drinking (or blow back, which has its own disadvantages) the water will drain back in to the bladder and stay cooler. I've decided they are not worth it. While MTBing the ones that can hold their shape make it easier for hands-free drinking, but that's not a problem while hiking, unless you are on a class 5 climb where you haven't got a free hand, I guess.

Tim

two of my packs don't have "official" compartments for hydration systems. for those packs, i make sure to place my bladder in a waterproof bag--i usually the plastic sleeves i save from the newspapers.

yes, i drink (sip) more water having the hose right there. and i always carry a bottle of some kind so that i can properly and easily filter my water--filtering directly into the bladder can be hard, depending on your water source at the moment.

dottie

I love it during the warm months. Two suggestions. A locking valve is a real nice feature. Also, a bladder with an opening large enough to put your entire hand in makes cleaning much easier.

A 100oz Camelbak with a right-angle bite/shutoff valve works well for me. I only put water in it. Sometimes the screw lid doesn't go on tight enough, so if setting up for a hike the night before, I leave it out of my pack just in case it leaks a bit (has done so on a couple of occasions).

And yes, you tend to drink more, and regularly. I try to take a hit every few minutes - figure I sweat the stuff off regularly, so drink regularly, rather than taking a big hit periodically like you do with Nalgenes.

The only downside is not knowing how much you have left, so do check it periodically.

dottie said:
two of my packs don't have "official" compartments for hydration systems. for those packs, i make sure to place my bladder in a waterproof bag--i usually the plastic sleeves i save from the newspapers.

I do that, even inside the hydration sleeve, to minimize dampness from possible condensation.

Of course, the best possible reason for a hydration system is to teach your dog the ultra-cute trick of drinking water as you squirt the hose!

Thanks everyone for the tutorial.

EMS is holding a 3L Unbottle with the angled valve and big bite for me.
Yahoo, get to try it out this weekend.

Alan

Thanks,

Picked up the 3L Unbottle yesterday. Very nice. Also got the Big Bite and Right angle attachment.
Is the shut off integral to what I have, or a separate option?

I also like the idea of using a dowel to keep it open.

Hope to use it soon(maybe today if the weather cooperates).

Peakbagr said:
I also like the idea of using a dowel to keep it open.

If you don't have a dowel handy, try the handle of your longest wooden cooking spoon.

Peakbagr said:
Picked up the 3L Unbottle yesterday. Very nice. Also got the Big Bite and Right angle attachment. Is the shut off integral to what I have, or a separate option?

Without seeing a pic of it I can't say for sure, but ... on my Big Bite and Right angle attachment it has a yellow valve handle which shuts off water to the bite valve. Unless they've developed a new gizmo, I think you have the complete setup.

As far as drying them, I have some old platypus hydration bags and I would just take an old metal clothes hanger and bend the triangle down to size to fit the bladder opening (lot easier if it's a "big mouth" type bladder) and then use the hanger part to hang it.

Jay

I use the core from a roll of paper towels to keep the bag open to dry. I tried a metal coat hanger once but most of them have a coating that flakes off when you bend them.

In warm weather fill the bladder the night before hiking and freeze the whole thing. The next day, while hiking, the first few pulls on the hose you'll get icky warm water, then comes wonderful ice-cold water. Very refreshing!!!

teejay

Hey, thanks for all the good 'uns.

Used the 3L Camelback today. Hot, a bit humid. Ran the sucker dry! Gotta either watch the intake or carry another one.
Really nice not to have to take the pack on and off all day.
I refrigerated the Camelback the evening before. Niceeeeee and cold water. The freezing thing sounds like a good idea too.

audrey said:
I don't know if I'd freeze the bladder solid - it would take a long time to thaw and might burst if overfilled. However, I do fill it to the brim with ice cubes and then water.

I fill it part-way (1/3), and freeze it, lying flat. In the AM, fill it the rest of the way with water.

Tim