Scenic Drives in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Usually when hiking the Pinkham and northern presis area I travel in through N Conway or Crawford Notch to 16 and then to rte 2. Coming up from Mass I am always looking for the shortest route. I had gone rte 3, 115, 2 to 116 north a couple times in the winter but it was always dark or near dark when I passed through. Saturday I decided to take the 115 and 2 rte to the Carters and got to take in the fantastic views of the northern presis this drive has to offer. I was just totally blown away. Thank god traffic wasn't to bad or I surely would have hit someone. If you have had the opportunity you gotta take that drive. Drive time is about the same any way you go so you have nothing to lose. Considering the lack of views on S and minimal views from Carter Dome, the drive made certainly provided me with my fix.

Question??? I thought I had traveled most of the routes through the north country, but maybe I am missing some. Anyone got a drive I should try?

As a side note. Saturday morning I passed 2 deer kill on 93 north and one moose kill in the median around exit 25 and another big bull kill in the guard rail on the Franconia Notch Parkway. Drive carefully.

How about the Kanc and Bear Notch Road? Lots of touristy traffic on a nice day, .... but it's awesome right after the sun rises ...... alpen-glow splashed across the Presis ........ gorgeous.

A couple of weeks ago I did Cabot with McRat and Hikerfast. Before we got into Berlin we fund an officer blocking Rt 110 and had to take a detour.....but we missed it. So.......Here we are continuing on Rt 16. We eventually realized our mistake and took 110B to 110A out to 110....in essence making a full circle. The only suggestion I would make is to go in reverse.....take 16 to 110 to 110A to 110B. Its a lovely drive with farms, fields, and mountains....in fact, the Mahoosucs spread out tantalizingly in front on you! I was very impressed with this drive.

Brian

TDawg said:
Rt. 118 from Warren to Woodstock , I remember at least one outlook north to the Franconia Range, Tecumseh, etc...A nice drive through national forest land otherwise, maybe a stop at Elbow Pond.

Aahhh, yes ..... Route 118 ........ your post reminded me of another nice drive ....... several actually ...... in that area. I think it was also Route 117 and or 116. It's been a few years ...... and I don't have my maps handy, but we were driving around (north of Woodstock, and west of I-93), ......... intentionally staying off the highways (I call it exploring, my wife calls it getting lost :rolleyes: )...... and we discovered some very scenic areas and many good views. (Kinsman Notch, Sugarhill, several state parks, etc.)

trailbiscuit said:
116 from Whitefield to Jefferson. Just drove this for the first time myself recently, and thought it was pretty dern nice.

The views of the presidentials on this route are wonderful! I get to drive this route and see this view almost every week because of my job. I still pinch myself; I can't believe how lucky I am! The views are breathtaking! I really am surprised there aren't more car accidents up here because of them, but apparently most folks are watching the road for moose...

Rt 115A from Rt2 in Jefferson,takes you down into the Israel River valley. It's farm country,and it's a wide open view with the Presi's on one side,and the Pilot range on the other.