trail to rusk/catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
If I go to do loop from SW hunter to hunter and down to rusk,is the trail obvious. Looking at my topopmap there is a sharp turn in the trail right at the point where it intersects the brook. Is this where the trail starts and is it a bushwack or a herd path. also, the trail to SW Hunter starts near the lean-to if I am not mistaken

The herdpath to rusk I believe is fairly obvious. I haven't done rusk in awhile though, somebody else shall chime in. The herdpath to SW Hunter/Leavitt Peak is not at the leanto but further west on the DP. There are coordinates and info here on how to find it on trip reports here and on adkhighpeaks.com but you have go past the leanto and start heading up in elevation and then you'll come across the herdpath going left off the path.

Jay

Adk_dib said:
If I go to do loop from SW hunter to hunter and down to rusk,is the trail obvious. Looking at my topopmap there is a sharp turn in the trail right at the point where it intersects the brook. Is this where the trail starts and is it a bushwack or a herd path. also, the trail to SW Hunter starts near the lean-to if I am not mistaken
For Rusk, there is a herd path that goes up the spine after you cross the stream(s). This path is not always easy to find, but stay on the spine. When you get to the col, look left and you should find a decent herd path leading to the summit in 5-10 minutes.

PM me if you want more info on Rusk. If you end up delaying Rusk, 3 of us and my Lab will be probably doing it sometime in the next month.
Are you working the 3500 list?

PB