Basin and Saddleback: winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSpoons

Reaction score
Looking for advice and suggestion regarding the two mountains cited.

What is the best winter approach? Should they be done separately?

Can one do both of them via Chicken Coop Brook?

The rock face on the back side of Saddleback is pretty steep. Is there another approach from this side. Can one climb the slide to reach the summit or descend the slide to avoid climbing down the rock face?

:)

RTSpoons said:
Can one do both of them via Chicken Coop Brook?
CCB is not worth the trouble for going up Basin or Saddleback, unless it's been very recently broken out by someone who knew what they were doing, but it's a good way to come down off Basin, especially if the ascent of Saddleback proves too treacherous.

CCB is a really nice ascent or descent route. As Tom said, though, its much less likely to be broken out if that is an issue with you. Just a terrific winter way up or down.
Since breaking downhill is a LOT less enervating, its really a nice way down and then you've left a stairway for those who want to climb the route after you.

regarding the rock face....

it is often covered in verglass

I would only recommend going up this in the winter, unless you want to carry a rope to rap.

The lower section is manageable... a couple of large steps. The normal route then takes a right out to a crack in the center of the slab at a fairly exposed stance. I would not go to the right here, rather go left and climb the corner with crampons and an ice axe. It is much less exposed and the ice tends to be a little thicker here. The top section is not too bad after that. A 25 foot rope might be wise to haul packs up the tricky spot if your packs weigh more than 30-35 pounds.

I have also seen tracks that divert to the right before the face going up between the brush and the rock wall. If you feel like a steep scramble up a narrow gully clinging on to trees, this is the other option.

Here are pics from our winter great range traverse...
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/540626702zZxwWu

the saddle back pictures on the on the 5th page of the album (Pict133-168). There Pan99 is also on the rock section of saddleback

Last edited:
A party of 6 of us bushwacked CCB one February day. Heavy, deep, snow, a few days after a big storm, and 2 of us broke most of the way. It was very hard work, even for those following, but a really nice route. One of our group was an expert backcountry skiier. On our way down, we watched him disappear thru the trees and jumps. We watched where he went on the descent, and noted the long jumps over deep, snowcovered waterfalls and logs. Sort of a forensic following of his tracks, and marvelling at his skill.
Christine is correct, without a good snowcover and previous cold weather, not a good way to go.

Chicken Coop

To all you kind folks...if I fly the chicken coop, I'll be sure the let you know the cage is open. :)

This could be agreat group outing this winter. Gat a group of 6-8. All switch off breaking trail up CCB, and bag both peaks.

CCB has lots of blowdown from the Oct. 05 storm. Prolly wanna wait til there is a deep snow cover. It was much nicer a few years ago (prs 2005)

Saddleback & Basin

I need both of these peaks for my winter 46, so if any of you want to plan help me bags these peaks you are welcome to come along.

It would be a pleasure to have someone along who has done this approach.

;) :) :p

RTSpoons said:
I need both of these peaks for my winter 46, so if any of you want to plan help me bags these peaks you are welcome to come along.

It would be a pleasure to have someone along who has done this approach.

;) :) :p
My thoughts exactly. So, that makes two of us.

We could throw in Haystack as well. Maybe Haystack first then we can go up the Saddleback cliff and down the slide. Glissading heaven.

Basin, Saddleback, and Haystack

Well it sounds like we might be able to get a party together to do these peaks.

I would be willing to share the cost of the Peggy O'Brien camp, if we can get before March 21st.

I'm not sure what the cabin costs, but it wasn't too cheap. They need payment in advance, so someone will have to front the entire bill and get reimbursed by everyone. We should call and see what the available dates are, and go from there. If we can get a party of 12 (I think that's the limit) and use the entire cabin that would be great. If we get more than that we would need to do both cabins-which would be really cool too.

I will call tomorrow and see the openings and get details. But, when I post the details it will have to be a really quick response from who is interested. That way we don't loose the opening.

So check this thread tomorrow evening for the details.

On the third week in July I went up the brook with a full pack. I had read reports on it and figured I,d give it a go so heres what I found, no herd path on either the east or west side of the CCB large enough to follow.For the most part I rock hoped up the moss covered CCB the higher you go the more 1-2 foot thick moss the less rock + lots of flies they stayed with me right up the slide on saddleback.Most of the blow down is in the 3-5 ft range to low to crawl to much mess to climb over (at least 20 ).that said it is truely breath taking and intimite by the time you get on to the slide you will have earned the views.I also gave it a go last winter in Feb, but broke threw the ice into a pool and got left Mteering boot soaked by the time I was able to pull the boot and the snowshoe out .Unless your Pinpin or junior ? It proved to much for me solo unbroken "sometimes you brake the trail, sometimes the trail brakes you" I have Gace camp for feb 11-13 will give it a go then, depending on the needs of the few. I really like the idea of going down that way.when I went up the Sb slide I bushed right when I was above the elivation of the col. free cimbing thetop of the slide with a full pack ,at that point, on that day proved to much, it was also a good way to get rid of the black flies. Is there a better way on to the slide? Mavs00 said it best deep snow will make it alot easyer at least 4 feet I,d say I will post on CCB atempts right now I,m 1 for 1 .

Grace camp

You mentioned you have Grace camp in Feb. Would you be interested in sharing the camp with Peak and myself. We both would like to do these peaks.

Let me know your feelings about this. If you have plans or want to do it alone I will understand.

Peggy-o Cabin

The only weekend available this winter is January 4-6. It holds 12 people and is $285.00 a night. So, around $27.00 per person per night, if we fill all 12 beds. Right now we have 4. Me, RT, Hiatus (maddi), Bushwacker (brian).

I can arrainge to front the $$$ but how do I put this nicely. If you pay and reserve a spot in the cabin and cancel you will need to fill your spot. There is no refund on the trip. I hate to say it. But that wouldn't be fair to everyone else in the group.

So, what does everyone think??? Give me some responses ASAP so we don't loose the last spot.

There is propane heat and stove, very nice set up. A short hike of 3.5 miles to the cabin, even decent enough to pull a sled if you want. Close enough to bring real food and drink.

Next should I reserve three nights or two??? Friady thru Sunday or just Friday thru Saturday??

Winter hike

Hey Spence: I should have no problem getting the time off from work. The Friday and Saturday works for me. If people want to do more I will work it in so it works for the group.