Basin and Saddleback: winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I am reserving the cabin for that Friday and Saturday night. Brian (bushwacker) said he will foot the bill. So, reimburse Brian, get in touch with him through e-mail or PM.

It's a go. I have no doubt we will fill the cabin.

It may fill very fast, so get in touch with Brian as soon as you can.

I need Haystack, Basin, Saddleback for winter so that's one day. I would like to either go up or down CCB. CCB is roughly 1.7 miles from the Cabin.

For those of you interested but don't know where it is:

Start from the Garden and hike the 3 miles to the trail register near the ranger outpost. Head about 0.4 miles toward JBL. There is a bridge over John's Brook, cross the bridge and take a right. The cabin is down the trail a little ways. I believe you will pass by the smaller Grace camp first.

Hey Spoons, I should have 2 spaces I put out an invite allready to some co-workers . This is my 5th year with a grace camp stay,and there has allways been room(two empty beds).You are definately welcome,regardless of the particulars .The day of the 14th was still unbooked when I made resurvations 3 weeks ago if you were looking for a longer stay.I need no commitments till January sometime. I am about as separated from the Internet as one can get .I go days between loging in so please be paitent.

Count me and ADKDREMN in so that is 2 more. Let us know where to send the checks :D Since ADKDREMN is not a member here he has pmed Spencer at ADKHIGHPEAKS but I am giving you confirmation here.

Thanks,

Adam and Andy

This sounds like a really great opportunity. I have been following this thread since its inception with great interest. I will not know my weekend work schedule for a couple weeks because I am starting a new job soon. But as soon as I know if I am free that weekend I will check in here to see if there is room for one or two more. I've got some winter experience and gear and will break trail, just let me know either here or by pm if you think I'm ready for this type of trip.

;)

Last edited:
I'm interested if you still have space. I've climbed Haystack and Basin in the winter descending CCB but still need Saddleback and the rest of the range.

reserved

okay reservation is made for Jan. 4 and 5.
cost is $570 for the two days.
if we get 12 of us, then it's only $54 each for the 2 nights.

pm or email me if you can make it.

una_dogger and alistair , welcome hope you can make it!

Brian, you rock! Thanks for making this happen. I want to go -- as soon as I know my weekend schedule I can confirm. Should know in a couple weeks, so that if I am working, you can free up the 2 spots for someone else.

Very cool, I'm psyched!

:D

Damn, as much as we'd like to be there that weekend (always wanted to stay there), I'll be in Clearwater, FL at that time.

Crap..................

florida in the winter?
i don't know if thats a good place to be!!
we'll miss you, could use nick to plow the trail for us.

bushwacker said:
florida in the winter?
i don't know if thats a good place to be!!
we'll miss you, could use nick to plow the trail for us.

It's a College Swim thing............. You can't swim in the ADK's in Jan, so you gotta head south.

Nick will be in NY at that time. perhaps he'll have his license by then and will volunteer to be a trail moose. Never Know.....

CCB in winter

You guys will have fun doing CCB in winter. Lots of snow is good, but you better hope it's consolidated. We attempted CCB after the big snows in February. We had a strong group, but only made it to the base of the slide by 3:00. We were trying to break trail thru 4 or 5 feet of unconsolidated snow. We had to dig in the snow and try to pack it down so you could step on it with your snowshoe. We knew we would never make the top, but we had a blast. We also knew that the Range Trail was not broken out yet, so even if we made it that far, we had lots of work ahead of us. But what took 4 hours up only took 45 minutes down.

Someone from our group went back the next day and finished up the hike. Two more of our group went back the weekend after. I had to chuckle when I read a trip report from someone who hiked the CCB later on, kind of implying that it's always broken out. Surprise! How I wish it was when we tried. Here's some pictures from the hike:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljschweighardt/ChickenCoopBrook30207

I think Christine has the right idea. I need to go back this winter and finish the hike. Maybe I'll schedule for the weekend after your trip :D

Enjoy!

Laurie

bushwacker said:
okay reservation is made for Jan. 4 and 5.
cost is $570 for the two days.
if we get 12 of us, then it's only $54 each for the 2 nights.

pm or email me if you can make it.

una_dogger and alistair , welcome hope you can make it!

If there is 12 of us and the cost is $570 wouldn't that be $47.50 for the two nights? Please just let me know how much money I need to send and I will send that amount :D

Thanks,
Adam

$47 will be fine. the price might be less. I haven't got the exact amount yet.
Now up to 9.
peak_bgr
maddi
high on life
alistair
adam
andy
rtspoons
john
bushwacker

maybe unadogger +1

Conditions Conditions Conditions

I've been up the back side of Basin and Saddleback in winter and it was without a doubt the most difficult section I've ever done including the Northface of Gothics and the Eagle slide on Giant. As you know conditions are everything. We ran into total verglass on both sections. Very exciting! Enjoy.

Although I'd love to get a piece of the fun, I can't gat away that weekend. I also need most of the Great Range, but plan to do UWJ & Armstrong as a separate hike from Saddleback. Also will do Basin & Haystack as another separate hike (but maybe on one long weekend) in order to avoid the slippery slope of Saddleback. :D

info

here is who i think is coming.

Spencer (peak_bgr) + Madeline
Ron (rtspoons) + Rob Wright
Nancy (high on life)
Adam (1adam12) + Andy (adkdremn)
Mimi
JohnK
Alistair
Sabrina (unadogger)
Brian (bushwacker)

and a couple i'm not sure of yet.
there is room for 12 - 16. any more than 12 will have to sleep on the floor.
so a couple of extras will be good.

At the camp there is a stove and heater.
there is also 12 sets of eating utensils,
and also cooking pots and pans.