Worst "footing" in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my most recent hike, The Rocky Branch Tr. A section of the Isolation Tr. (east) near the Davis Path junction was a very similar running stream. Also, the Kinsman Pond Tr. comes to mind as another PITA.

It was really only this section of the RBT about .2 or .3 long descending from the height of land down towards Rocky Branch Brook:

Last edited:
** First-Hand report **

On Thursday, I did the Cornice trail from Caps Ridge over to Randolph Path. It was actually planned even before this thread was started...
I found the section between Caps Ridge and the Castle trail to be typical northern pressies rock hopping, nothing too severe. The section between the Castle trail down to Edmunds Col however, sucked! The was one of those trails where you're hiking in low scrub and you can't see your feet or what you're about to step on. I stepped/tripped on rocks, roots, holes, small moose, just about everything.... Without ever seeing it coming.
The rest of my hike was awesome!

Last edited:
After deep thought, and finally finding my password again, I would vote for the Watson Path on Madison. It was very rocky and almost rock climbing like. Ill put a second vote in for the Dry River trail, very washed out in spots and rough. -Mattl

One of my least favorite trails is indeed The Link. I've done it three times - all in one day (I was nearly at the end when I realized I'd dropped my favorite fleece....and had to go back to the junction. I didn't pass another person on that trail all day!).

I wonder if the Link is made more tolerable after about 3 feet of snow - or however much it takes to cover up all the roots etc?

I've said it before; I'll say it again: I don't think the Link is bad at all, and my pace on it is pretty comparable to normal flat trails.

My not-yet-mentioned nomination would be sections of the Livermore Trail on the Kanc side of Flume Camp.

Last edited:
hikrgrl said:
I wonder if the Link is made more tolerable after about 3 feet of snow - or however much it takes to cover up all the roots etc?

It might take a bit more snow than that, but - I think it's rarely done in winter, as the road over Jefferson Notch is closed so that snowmobilers can use it. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would be a long approach unless you had a snowmobile.

Kevin Rooney said:
It might take a bit more snow than that, but - I think it's rarely done in winter, as the road over Jefferson Notch is closed so that snowmobilers can use it. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would be a long approach unless you had a snowmobile.
Now that the road to the cog has been plowed, you can park in the cog parking area and walk the Boundary Line Trail to Jefferson Notch Road. We did this a few winters ago to do a loop over Jefferson and Clay and then down the Jewel Trail. I guess it's conditional on them plowing the road again this year.

-Dr. Wu