Private Property - Who goes there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do when you come to a No Trespassing sign while you are hiking?

• You stop dead in your tracks and look for a way around or else you turn back.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You rip it down. Live free or die!

• Well, I'm from the ADKs, and over there, we...

• Other.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

albee

Reaction score
In the course of crashing through the brush off-trail, I have come across Private Property postings a few times. Sometimes I heed them, sometimes I don't. I guess I try to be pragmatic about what harm, if any, my crossing that line will do. There is an unspoken rule that even though you might get injured on someone else's private property, you should never hold them liable for a decision you make to disregard their posting.

My question is, what do you do when you see private property signs? Do you stop in your tracks or look for a way around? Do you ask permission beforehand? Do you ignore them and just keep going? Do you try to be cautious and get over the boundary and back as quickly and safely as possible?

Note: this poll is posted in the New England section for a reason. I realize that there is a different set of rules for New York. With this in mind, I respectfully ask you to start your own poll over there in the NY section so the results of this poll are specific to the New England region. Thank you for your cooperation!

(Oh, and vote for more than one option if you have to.)

Trespassing on private property is illegal, and can get the hiking community in a lot of trouble for access. Rather then hash this out here, I'm going to close this thread.

Don't start another poll on this subject in the NY area either.

-dave-

I'd like to add to Dave's comments. Starting a thread like this serves no purpose other than to be provocative with no chance of a good outcome. Let me reiterate that for the NY Board as well.
Dave, thanks for jumping on this before I had a chance to see it.
Reclosing thread now.

PB

Status
Not open for further replies.